Rain Doesn't Damper Pelicans Bats
The Pelicans were eager and ready to play after an hour rain delay at Pelican Park. Pensacola hitters came out and scored four runs on six hits in the first two innings to take a 4-0 lead early in the ball game.
In the first inning, with two outs, Juan Rocha walked and then scored after Nestor Smith hit an opposite field two-run homer to left field making the score 2-0.
Pensacola added two more runs in the second inning on another two out rally. Trino Aguilar singled and would move to third on a Mike Pierre double. Bernard Caston followed with a 2 RBI single and Carlos Mendoza then followed with the Pelicans fourth consecutive hit in the inning.
Santos Hernandez had his fourth consecutive quality start for Pensacola, throwing six innings and striking out five on his way to his fourth victory of the season. Hernandez is now (4-2) on the year.
It was definitely a hitter's night for Pensacola as every batter had at least one hit. Caston, Mendoza, Jose Salas, Branch and Pierre each had two hits.
The Pels added one more run in the fourth when Mendoza hit a sacrifice fly that scored Pierre and one run in the 5th off a Larry Bethea homerun into the left field trees. That was Bethea's 10th of the year is now in first place in the CBL by himself.
Pensacola gets a much needed rest as they have the next two days off to prepare for a four game series against the Coastal Bend Aviators.
• Discuss this story on the Central Baseball League message board...
Central Baseball League Stories from June 16, 2005
- Aviators win rubber match against Senators - Coastal Bend Aviators
- El Paso downs Sports 8-5 - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Cats pitcher Kevin Lynn signed by Devil Rays - Fort Worth Cats
- Bark at the Park back at Smith-Wills Stadium - Jackson Senators
- Lynn sold to Devil Rays - Central League
- Rain Doesn't Damper Pelicans Bats - Pensacola Pelicans
- Sports explode for 14-9 victory - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Pelicans Stories
- News from Northwest Florida Professional Baseball LLC.
- Pensacola Baseball Sells 500th Season Ticket
- Pels Training Academy Hosts 7th & 8th Grade Prep Skill Camp
- Pensacola Home to Minor League Baseball Team in 2012
- Palmisano named to Baseball America first team Independent Baseball team