RailCats Swept for First Time this Season
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - For the first time this season, the Gary SouthShore RailCats (15-13) were swept. The Kansas City Monarchs (15-10), winners of a league-best eight straight, won the series finale against Gary SouthShore with a 4-0 shutout at Legend's Field in Kansas City, Kansas.
NIck Travieso received the win in a stout start for Kansas City as he improved to 2-4 on the year. Travieso dealt six innings of shutout baseball while allowing just four hits and two walks with six strikeouts.
In his professional debut, Cal Djuraskovic suffered the loss after just 1.2 innings on the mound, allowing one run on one hit with three walks and a strikeout.
For the second straight game, Jan Hernandez gave the Monarchs an early lead in the first inning. After a two-run shot in the opening frame of yesterday's 6-2 final, Hernandez got a hold of a high-fly ball out to left-center field to double in Ryan Grotjohn and take a 1-0 lead.
The RailCats had a chance to tie things up in the third when Tommy McCarthy and Hayden Schilling each led off the inning with singles. McCarthy, camped on third with nobody out, remained there until the end of the half inning as the 'Cats suffered a 'strike-em-out, throw-em-out' play and a strikeout to close out the frame.
The fourth inning provided insurance for Kansas City as they rode a pair of doubles and a single to two more runs, making it a 3-0 game. Before adding one more in the sixth on a long sac-fly scoring Johnny Field from second base.
The sweep marks the first time Greg Tagert has been swept on the road at Legend's Field in Kansas City.
The Gary SouthShore RailCats return to Chicagoland for a three-game set against the Chicago Dogs at Impact Field in Rosemont, Illi. tomorrow, June 18 for a 7:05 first pitch against the Northern Division rivals.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 18, 2021
- Gunn's Brilliant Outing Carries Cleburne - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Rally Falls Short in Chicago - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AC/DC, Man Buns, Bark in Park Coming to Birdcage this Week - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Milkmen Head Home After Series Sweep - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Dogs Fall 8-4 to RedHawks, But Confidence Doesn't Waiver Behind Hot-Hitting Lidge - Chicago Dogs
- Pimentel Strikes out Ten in Finale vs. Milkmen - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Down Railroaders to Sweep Series - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Swept for First Time this Season - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Sweep Apollos as Curt Smith Makes History - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Elite Eight for Monarchs - Kansas City Monarchs
- Railroaders Can't Hold Early Lead as Goldeyes Sweep - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.