RailCats Shutout by Saints, 5-0, in Third Straight Loss
ST PAUL, Minn. - The Gary SouthShore RailCats dropped their third straight contest after getting shutout by the St. Paul Saints, 5-0, in Friday's series opener. Cole Fabio finished 2-for-2 with a walk, extending his season-high on-base streak to seven games, and was one just of two Gary baserunners to reach third base.
St. Paul (6-1) got on the board with a two-out run in the first. Max Murphy doubled to left-center for the Saints' first hit of the game before Jayce Boyd brought him in to score with an RBI bloop single to left.
The Saints extended their lead to 3-0 with two more runs in fourth. A single from Boyd followed by a double from Noah Perio Jr. gave St. Paul runners a pair in scoring position before Dante Bichette Jr. brought them both home with a two-run single.
Brady Shoemaker made it 4-0 with an RBI single in the fifth before Richard Prigatano brought home the final run of the evening with a two-out RBI single in the sixth. Eddie Medina (1-0) tossed seven shutout innings in the Saints' sixth straight win. The right-hander yielded just six hits, no walks, and struck out four.
Chuck Weaver (0-1) was charged with the loss in his first American Association loss. Weaver allowed four runs on seven hits and a walk while striking out three over four innings. Lars Liguori allowed one run in a season-high four innings in relief for Gary (2-5). The southpaw allowed three hits and retired the final Saints hitters on the night.
The RailCats resume their series against the Saints on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. LHP Jeff McKenzie (1-0, 1.50) opposes St. Paul's Jeff Malm (0-0, 1.50) in the middle game of the series at CHS Field.
The RailCats return home on Monday, May 28th for the start of a season-long 10-game homestand. Monday's game is the inaugural regular-season game vs. the Chicago Dogs and is Ketchup Appreciation Day, a Memorial Day Matinee, All You Can Eat Night ($10 wristbands for hot dogs, popcorn and peanuts) and another MetroPCS Monday at U.S. Steel Yard.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 25, 2018
- McGovern, Bats Dominate in Home Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Shutout by Saints, 5-0, in Third Straight Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Cooper's Gem Boosts Wichita to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Keep Rolling Behind Stellar Pitching Performance from Medina, Win 5-0 over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Eat Your Way Through the Week with All You Can Eat Day, Ketchup Appreciation - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fans to Receive Vouchers for Sunday Jersey Giveaway - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- X's Sweep Canaries to Finish Road Trip - Sioux City Explorers
- Davis Triple Helps Spark T-Bones to a 5-3 Series Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Big Innings Hurt Birds in Series-Ending Loss to Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs Complete Sweep with Another Walk-Off - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Swept by Saltdogs Late Rally - Wichita Wingnuts
- Early 3-run lead doesn't hold for Gary in 5-3 loss to Kansas City - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- Series Opener vs. St. Paul Suspended
- 'Cats Bring Bacon, Beach Party, and Bucket Hats to the B Allpark
- Series Finale against Fargo-Moorhead Washed Out
- RailCats Claim Second Straight Series with 8-2 Win over Fargo-Moorhead
- Early Lead, Strong Start from Gunn Leads 'Cats to 3-2 Win over RedHawks