Cooper's Gem Boosts Wichita to Series-Opening Win
WICHITA, Kan. - Jordan Cooper tossed seven strong innings as the Wichita Wingnuts got back into the win column with a 4-1 victory over the Texas AirHogs on Friday night at Lawrence-Dumont.
Cooper (1-0) was clinical in delivering the longest outing of the season for a Wingnuts starter. He finished with a flurry, retiring 11 of the last 12 hitters that he faced, and surrendered just three hits on the evening.
Wichita got on the board in the bottom of the first against Texas starter Meng Weiqiang (0-2), as Tony Thomas lifted a sacrifice fly and Zach Nehrir drilled an RBI single to give the Wingnuts a 2-0 lead.
Texas (1-6) pulled a run back in the top of the third, getting two-out hits from Dillon Thomas and Greg Golson to cut the lead in half at 2-1. The Wingnuts quickly responded in the fourth with another sacrifice fly, this one from Leo Vargas that pushed the lead to 3-1. Abel Nieves tacked on an insurance run in the eighth, blasting a solo home run off Texas reliever Taylor Wright for the game's final score. It was the first home run of the season for Nieves, and the first for a Wingnuts player at Lawrence-Dumont in 2018.
Daniel Tillman closed out the win with a scoreless top of the ninth, striking out the side to snap the Wingnuts four-game losing streak.
The Wingnuts and AirHogs continue their series on Saturday night; Tyler Matzek gets the start for Texas, while Wichita has not yet announced their starter. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 25, 2018
- McGovern, Bats Dominate in Home Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Shutout by Saints, 5-0, in Third Straight Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Cooper's Gem Boosts Wichita to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Keep Rolling Behind Stellar Pitching Performance from Medina, Win 5-0 over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Eat Your Way Through the Week with All You Can Eat Day, Ketchup Appreciation - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fans to Receive Vouchers for Sunday Jersey Giveaway - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- X's Sweep Canaries to Finish Road Trip - Sioux City Explorers
- Davis Triple Helps Spark T-Bones to a 5-3 Series Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Big Innings Hurt Birds in Series-Ending Loss to Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs Complete Sweep with Another Walk-Off - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Swept by Saltdogs Late Rally - Wichita Wingnuts
- Early 3-run lead doesn't hold for Gary in 5-3 loss to Kansas City - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.