McGovern, Bats Dominate in Home Opener
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes beat the Sioux Falls Canaries 13-1 at Shaw Park on Friday night in front of 6,493 fans during the club's 25th home opener.
The Goldeyes have won five games in a row.
For a second straight game, the Goldeyes' offence put a crooked number on the scoreboard in the second inning, this time sending 13 batters to the plate to build a 7-0 lead. Victor Cruzado drew a four-pitch, leadoff walk and advanced to second when David Bergin lined a single to left. Kevin Garcia doubled off the wall in right on a play that resulted in Bergin being tagged out in a rundown and Cruzado advancing to third. After Josh Mazzola walked to load the bases, Jordan Ebert beat out an infield single to score Cruzado with the game's first run. Andrew Sohn and Grant Heyman followed with RBI infield singles of their own to make it 3-0. Reynaldo Rodriguez stretched the lead to four runs on a line drive single to left that brought in Ebert. Reggie Abercrombie then singled through the left side to drive in Winnipeg's fifth and sixth runs. Later in the inning, Garcia drew a two-out, bases loaded walk.
Maxx Garrett led off the top of the third with a home run down the left field line, but that proved the only run allowed by Goldeyes' starting pitcher Kevin McGovern who earned the win (1-1). McGovern yielded just four hits over eight innings, walking two and striking out three. McGovern completed eight innings on 96 pitches, and retired 12 consecutive batters from the third inning into the seventh.
"It was nice to get a good start from McGovern after coming off the one on the road," said Goldeyes' hitting coach Tom Vaeth. "I thought he threw well. He had good command of his fastball tonight, didn't try to overthrow, and mixed his pitches well."
In the bottom of the fourth, singles by Rodriguez and Abercrombie set up a three-run home run to left-centre by Bergin that extended the lead to 10-1. Abercrombie closed out the scoring for the night with a two-out, three-run home run to left in the bottom of the fifth. Rodriguez finished with four hits. Abercrombie had five RBI.
"Guys had some good swings and good at bats," said Vaeth. It was good to put up a big crooked number in the beginning of the game and give McGovern a chance to settle in. Big night from Reynaldo-he swung the bat really well, and kind of set the table for the big boys behind him. It took a great play in the hole to prevent him from going five-for-five."
Canaries' starter Dylan Thompson (1-1) took the loss, allowing 13 earned runs on 13 hits over four and two-thirds innings. Thompson walked three and struck out six.
Winnipeg's defence shined throughout the night. Cruzado made sprinting catches in right field on Blake Schmit in the third and Michael Hart in the fifth. Sohn robbed Patrick Fiala in the fourth, ranging deep in the hole at shortstop and making a leaping throw to Rodriguez at first base. Abercrombie took away extra bases from Dan Motl in the eighth with a diving catch toward the centre field wall.
Jack Charleston pitched a perfect top of the ninth to close out the game.
Canaries' infielder Tyler Wolfe was used in relief during the bottom of the eighth and pitched a scoreless inning.
Game two of the three-game series is Saturday evening at 6:05 p.m. Edwin Carl (1-0, 1.50) takes on Canaries' right-hander Miles Nordgren (0-0, 0.00). Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by calling 1-855-GOLDEYE, visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 25, 2018
- McGovern, Bats Dominate in Home Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Shutout by Saints, 5-0, in Third Straight Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Cooper's Gem Boosts Wichita to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Keep Rolling Behind Stellar Pitching Performance from Medina, Win 5-0 over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Eat Your Way Through the Week with All You Can Eat Day, Ketchup Appreciation - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fans to Receive Vouchers for Sunday Jersey Giveaway - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- X's Sweep Canaries to Finish Road Trip - Sioux City Explorers
- Davis Triple Helps Spark T-Bones to a 5-3 Series Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Big Innings Hurt Birds in Series-Ending Loss to Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs Complete Sweep with Another Walk-Off - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Swept by Saltdogs Late Rally - Wichita Wingnuts
- Early 3-run lead doesn't hold for Gary in 5-3 loss to Kansas City - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Goldeyes Announce Transactions
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints
- Charleston Breaks Appearances Record, Goldeyes Edged Late
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park