May 25, 2018 - American Association (AA) News Release
Lincoln 6, Wichita 5- Box Score
The Lincoln Saltdogs earned an unconventional walk-off win on Thursday, scoring on a wild pitch in the bottom of the ninth to end the game.
The Saltdogs scored all six of their runs in the final three innings of the game after trailing for most of the contest. Wichita scored two in the second and one in the third to take an early 3-0 lead. The Wingnuts held the 3-0 lead until the Saltdogs cut the deficit to one in the bottom of the seventh on a two-run home run by Angel Reyes. Wichita reclaimed the three-run lead in the next frame, scoring one on a bases loaded walk and another on a sacrifice fly by Zach Nehrir. The game finally came to a tie in the eighth thanks to Reyes, who picked up another two RBIs on a double and later scored on a sacrifice fly.
Christian Ibarra walked to start the bottom of the ninth for the Saltdogs and moved to second in the next at bat on a fielder's choice error. Then, Curt Smith moved both runners with a ground ball out. Chase Simpson was intentionally walked in the next at bat. Ibarra followed by scoring on a wild pitch with Chad Hinsaw at the plate.
J.R. Bunda was awarded the win for pitching a scoreless ninth.
Kansas City 5, Gary Southshore 3
The Kansas City T-Bones road a four run fourth to down the Gary Southshore Railcats on Thursday
Entering the bottom of the fourth, the T-Bones were down 3-0 and had just two hits. Then the bats came alive. Zach Walters provided the initial spark, leading off the inning with a ground rule double before scoring two batters later on a sacrifice fly by Dexter Kjerstad. Later in the inning, Angel Rosa hit a two out RBI double and Johnny Davis hit a two-RBI Triple to give Kansas City a 4-3 lead.
Keith Curcio hit a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh to bring the game to its final 5-3 tally.
Sioux City 10, Sioux Falls 4- Box Score
The Sioux City Explorers scored all they needed in the opening frame of a 10-4 victory over the Sioux Falls Canaries on Thursday.
The Explorers opened the game by loading the bases for Nate Samson, who drove in two with a single. In the next at bat, Jay Baum drove in Jay Austin with a single. Dexture McCall and David Kerian also picked up RBI singles in the frame to give Sioux City a 5-0 lead.
The Explorers never looked back, collecting 15 hits in the contest.
Chris Grayson hit a two-run home run for the Canaries.
Taylor Jordan was awarded the win after giving up four earned on six hits while striking out seven and walking two in 5.2 innings of work.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 25, 2018
- McGovern, Bats Dominate in Home Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Shutout by Saints, 5-0, in Third Straight Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Cooper's Gem Boosts Wichita to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Keep Rolling Behind Stellar Pitching Performance from Medina, Win 5-0 over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Eat Your Way Through the Week with All You Can Eat Day, Ketchup Appreciation - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fans to Receive Vouchers for Sunday Jersey Giveaway - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- X's Sweep Canaries to Finish Road Trip - Sioux City Explorers
- Davis Triple Helps Spark T-Bones to a 5-3 Series Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Big Innings Hurt Birds in Series-Ending Loss to Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs Complete Sweep with Another Walk-Off - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Swept by Saltdogs Late Rally - Wichita Wingnuts
- Early 3-run lead doesn't hold for Gary in 5-3 loss to Kansas City - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.