RailCats Re-Sign Closer; Add Infielder in Trade
GARY, Ind. - Right-handed pitcher Marco Gonzalez, who led the RailCats with 10 saves in 2012, will return to Gary for the 2013 season. The RailCats also announced that infielder Brandon Gregorich was received from Schaumburg to complete an earlier trade.
Gonzalez was 4-3 with a 4.29 ERA in 41 relief appearances in 2012. Gonzalez had a strong finish to the season, earning nine saves in his final 14 appearances. Over his last 18 outings, covering 18 2/3 innings, Gonzalez allowed just five runs for a 2.41 ERA. He didn't allow a run in 15 of those 18 appearances.
Gonzalez pitched for four seasons in the St. Louis Cardinals organization and reached Triple-A. The Merced, Calif., native has a career ERA of 3.85.
Gregorich was essentially traded for himself, as he comes to the RailCats to complete a deal from August of 2012 when he was sent to Schaumburg for a player to be named later. The rookie split time between the Boomers and the Sonoma County Grapes of the North American League last season and hit .302/.378/.426 with four home runs, 11 doubles and 30 RBI in 56 games. Just 12 of those games were with Schaumburg, where he was 8-for-36 (.222).
Gregorich, 25, played collegiately at UC-San Diego, where he holds school records for career batting average (.424) and and RBI (84). As a senior in 2010 he set a single-season records with 103 hits and a .452 batting average.
The RailCats roster now sits at 27. The American Association roster limit during the pre-season is 28.
RailCats Opening Day is May 16 against the Lincoln Saltdogs and single game tickets are on sale now. Fans may purchase tickets online at www.railcatsbaseball.com or by calling the box office at 219-882-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from April 10, 2013
- AirHogs Sign Infielder German Duran - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Fargo's Laber Re-Signs with RedHawks; Team Also Signs Johnson - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wedneday's High School Challenge Games Postponed - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Add Record-Setting Rookie Catcher - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Re-Sign Closer; Add Infielder in Trade - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pair of All-Stars Join Canaries - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season
- Sinibaldi's Stellar Start Not Enough in 3-2 Loss to Goldeyes