AirHogs Sign Infielder German Duran
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - The Grand Prairie AirHogs announced that the team has signed infielder German Duran to a contract for the 2013 season.
Duran, who played for the Texas Rangers in 2008, played briefly for the AirHogs in 2011, when Grand Prairie won the American Association Championship.
Duran joined the AirHogs late in the 2011 season, only playing in 12 regular season games, but Duran was a major contributor in the postseason, as he helped the club to its first championship.
After spending high school (Fort Worth Paschal) and college (TCU) in the metroplex, Duran made his big league debut on April 17, 2008 for his hometown Texas Rangers. He played in 60 games that season for the Rangers, hitting .231 with three home runs and 16 RBIs.
Duran signed with the AirHogs on August 12, 2011 and hit .317 down the stretch of the regular season, with two home runs and nine RBIs, while playing a solid shortstop.
But it was in the playoffs where the local product really made his impact. Despite injuring his ribs in the series against Wichita, Duran played in six of the AirHogs' nine playoff games, and led the club with a .536 batting average. He also hit a home run in the decisive Game 5 of the Championship Series against St. Paul, drove in five runs in the postseason and scored 10 runs, tied for the most on the team despite missing the three games due to injury.
Duran was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 6th round of the 2005 draft and played last season in the Miami Marlins farm system at Double-A Jacksonville in the Southern League where he batted .211 in 11 games.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs open the 2013 season on Friday, May 17 at QuikTrip Park against the 2012 American Association Champion Winnipeg Goldeyes at 7:05 p.m. Check back at the team's official Web site www.airhogsbaseball.com for any other off-season news as develops. For information on 2013 tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site as well, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from April 10, 2013
- AirHogs Sign Infielder German Duran - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Fargo's Laber Re-Signs with RedHawks; Team Also Signs Johnson - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wedneday's High School Challenge Games Postponed - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Add Record-Setting Rookie Catcher - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Re-Sign Closer; Add Infielder in Trade - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pair of All-Stars Join Canaries - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs