RailCats Avoid Sweep with 2-0 Shutout Win over RedHawks
FARGO, N.D. - A leadoff home run from Alex Crosby on the second pitch of the night, a career-high 5.1 shutout innings from Nile Ball and 4.2 perfect innings from the Gary bullpen led the RailCats to 2-0 shutout win over the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks on Tuesday night at Newman Outdoor Field. Tuesday's win helped Gary being swept for the seventh time this season, was its third shutout victory of the year and snapped Fargo-Moorhead's eight-game winning streak.
Gary (35-53) doubled its lead with the final run of the series in the third. Andy De Jesus singled to left to begin the inning before advancing to third on a single into right field off the bat of Crosby. Two batters later, Hayden Schilling brought home De Jesus from third with an RBI infield single.
Ball yielded just three hits, walked four, hit two batters and struck out two in his first professional road win. Jack Alkire (2) recorded his second straight hold with two outs out of the bullpen while Ryan Thurston (7) recorded his team-leading seventh hold with two innings of relief. Sandy Lugo (8) struck out two of three batters he faced in the bottom of the ninth for his second straight save.
Tyler Pike (8-3) was charged with the loss for Fargo-Moorhead (58-30) despite allowing just two runs over a season-high 8.1 innings. The southpaw yielded nine hits, eight of which were singles, walked none, struck out nine and retired the final eight hitters he faced in his second start against Gary.
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Wednesday for a three-game home series vs. St. Paul. RailCats' left-hander Trevor Lubking (5-9, 4.43) makes his league-high 22nd start against former RailCat Jake Matthys (8-4, 5.56).
Wednesday's series opener vs. the Saints is at 6:45 p.m. and is the last Creekside "Pop-Up Bar Wednesday", celebrating Golden Girls, and NorthShore Health Centers Wednesday of the season. Visit any Northwest Indiana NorthShore Health Center for complimentary tickets to a Wednesday RailCats game.
Ticket packages for the 2019 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 20, 2019
- RailCats Shut out RedHawks to Snap Win Streak - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Andrew Ely Drives in Five in Birds Loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Nester Hits for Cycle as 'Roaders Sweep - Cleburne Railroaders
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Complete Roadtrip with Sweep of Milkmen - Chicago Dogs
- Masterful pitching by Zhang Tao leads to an AirHog victory - Texas AirHogs
- RailCats Avoid Sweep with 2-0 Shutout Win over RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- RailCats Avoid Sweep with 2-0 Shutout Win over RedHawks - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Fall in Lone-Star Series Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Andrew Ely Returns to Canaries - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Cold Bats Snap 12 Game Win Streak - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- X's Stop Losing Streak, Shut out T-Bones - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Hawks Blank Cats for Eighth Straight Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- 'Roaders Down Canaries in Shootout - Cleburne Railroaders
- Birds Battle Late But Fall Short to Railroaders - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season