Rafkin Commits with OHL Player Agreement
(Windsor, ON) - Ruben Rafkin has agreed to terms on a standard Ontario Hockey League player and education package with general manager Bill Bowler.
Rafkin, 17, was taken in the first round (#14 overall) in the 2019 CHL Import Draft.
The 6'0, 188-pound Finnish defenceman spent the 2018-19 season with the Tri-City Storm of the USHL, posting two goals and eight assists along with 90 penalty minutes in 38 games.
Rafkin says, after weighing all his options, joining the Spitfires just felt right.
"I had pro offers in Finland and a (good) team in the USHL," Rafkin said. "But with the coaching in Windsor, the quality of kids playing there, it made the most sense for me." Rafkin says he wants to play a big role and be a positive force, both on and off the ice.
"I want to be a good teammate and play good hard hockey," Rafkin said. "It's a big season for m e. It's my draft year. I want the team to have a big year and if that happens, I think I will have a good year too."
Images from this story
Ruben Rafkin with the Tri-City Storm
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from July 29, 2019
- Associate Coach Jody Hull Signs Extension - Niagara IceDogs
- Oliver Suni Commits to Generals - Oshawa Generals
- Rafkin Commits with OHL Player Agreement - Windsor Spitfires
- Letang Named to Canadian World Junior Team Coaching Staff - Owen Sound Attack
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windsor Spitfires Stories
- Daniil Sobolev Commits to Spitfires
- Spitfires Assistant Coach Mike Weber to Depart the Club
- Windsor Spitfires Sign 2020 Import Draft Defenceman Daniil Sobolev
- Summer Spotlight: Bowler Reflects on Rewarding First Year as Spitfires GM
- Eleven Windsor Spitfire Alumni Advance to Stanley Cup Playoffs