Quenneville Leads IceRays 6-4 Comeback Win Over Bees
Corpus Christi IceRays captain Justin Quenneville highlighted a five-point night with the game-winning goal in the final minutes of regulation to lead the ICeRays past the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees 6-4 Tuesday night from the Dodge Arena. Quenneville scored his only goal of the game with 1:26 to play to snap a tie score and lead the IceRays to a comeback victory. The win was the Rays second straight and upped Corpus Christi's season record to 12-13-3 on the year, moving within one point of the Killer Bees for third place in the Southeast Division. The win was the IceRays first over Rio Grande Valley this season. The IceRays will finish the 2008 portion of their schedule on the road Wednesday Night with a visit to the Texas Brahmas before returning to the American Bank Center on Saturday, January 3rd to host the Odessa Jackalopes. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361-814-PUCK.
The Killer Bees power play was the story of the opening period, scoring three times to give Rio Grande Valley the early lead. Zak McClellan scored on his own rebound from just outside the crease on a Bees power play at 2:46 to make the score 1-0. The Bees used another power play goal to increase the lead to 2-0 when Evan Rankin placed a wrist shot into the top right corner from the right circle at 7:20. The IceRays cut the lead in half when Chris Mei crept from the left corner and slid a puck through the legs of Christian Boucher a 9:53. But the Bees power play struck again to reclaim the two goal lead. On a two-man advantage at 17:56 Nicolas Dumoulin ripped a one-timer from the blue line past Kris Tebbs to make the score 3-1 after one period of play. Both teams had ten shots in the first period.
In the second period the IceRays pulled back even with a pair of goal. On a two-man advantage of their own, Ryan Bennett took a feed in the right circle and ripped a wrist shot past Boucher for his team-leading 17th goal of the year at 1:51. The IceRays later tied the score when Adam Powell picked up his own rebound and poked it home at 14:36 to tie the score. The teams each had 14 shots in the second period as they played evenly into the third.
The IceRays took their first lead 1:23 into the third period when Jeff Grant found a loose puck at the top of the crease and buried it home for his third goal of the year. The Bees turned to the power play to tie the score again when Brian Bicek scored at 9:37 on a rebound. Quenneville then broke the tie at 18:36 as he turned the corner at the bottom of the right circle and chipped a puck over Boucher to give the Rays a 5-4 lead. Chris Richards added an empty net goal at 19:43 to cap the scoring.
Kris Tebbs (8-6-3) got the win making 32 saves on 36 shots and Christian Boucher (5-6-1) took the loss making 33 saves on 38 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-7 while the Killer Bees went 4-8 on the man advantage. The IceRays outshot the Bees 39-36.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 30, 2008
- Quenneville Leads IceRays 6-4 Comeback Win Over Bees - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Eagles Beat Odds, Blazers to Cap Off 2008 - Colorado Eagles
- Pszenyczny Nets OT Winner in Tulsa - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bees, Bouchard Part Ways - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- 2009 All Star Game Starters Announced - CHL
- Kinnunen Named to All-Star Starting Line Up - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Smith Named All-Star Starter - Laredo Bucks
- Sundogs' Irving to Start in CHL All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Colorado Eagles, CHL Release 100 All-Star Game Tickets - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks To Donate $10,000 If Jan 9th Sells Out - Laredo Bucks
- Jacks Make Moves; Sign Bernard, Activate Joly - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Smith Called Up To AHL - Laredo Bucks
- Boron Earns Performance of the Week - Wichita Thunder
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Wichita's Tim Boron Voted Performance of the Week - CHL
- RiverKings show love to American Heart Association - Mississippi RiverKings
- Gorillas weekly - Amarillo Gorillas
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale