Power Hold off Claws Rally in Ninth, Win 6-4
CHARLESTON, WV - West Virginia held off a BlueClaws rally in the ninth to complete a three-game sweep of the BlueClaws with a 6-4 win on Sunday.
The BlueClaws (26-34/55-75) have dropped four straight after winning the first two games on their road trip. West Virginia (30-32/67-35) finished the year 13-4 against the BlueClaws including 6-0 in Charleston.
Trailing 6-1, the BlueClaws got a two-run eighth inning double from Luis Garcia to pull within 6-3. Then in the ninth, they had four hits, including an RBI single from Yerwin Trejo to bring the go-ahead run to the plate. Reeves Martin, however, got Juan Aparicio to ground out to first base to end the game.
Starter Evan Johnson (1-4) gave up three runs over a career long 7.2 innings to earn the win for West Virginia.
The Power got a run in the second inning on an RBI single from Onil Pena to go up 1-0.
They added three more in the third off Taylor Lehman. The left-hander walked three hitters in a row, capped by Charlie McConnell, to drive in a run. Then Nick Rodriguez hit a two-run single to put the Power up 4-0.
Lehman (2-1) took the loss, allowing four runs in four innings.
The Power added two more in the seventh off Erik Miller, scoring on RBI singles from both Onil Pena and Manny Pazos. Miller went three innings and allowed two runs with six strikeouts in his second game with the BlueClaws.
McCarthy Tatum had two hits in the loss for the BlueClaws while Luis Garcia drove in two.
The BlueClaws return home for their final home series of the year which begins Monday against Delmarva.
LHP Jhordany Mezquita (3-7) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Dallas Listcher (2-0).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Lexington Steals Series Finale with 9-5 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dogs Offense Remains Cold as Charleston Falls in Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bats Bust out in 10-4 Win over Greensboro - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Late Rally Not Enough in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Late Innings Lift Tourists Past Drive, 7-6 - Greenville Drive
- Come from Behind Win Keeps Asheville in First - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Smoke 'Birds in Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Johnson's Quality Start Lifts Power to Series Sweep - West Virginia Power
- Suns Take Series with Emphatic Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Power Hold off Claws Rally in Ninth, Win 6-4 - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Long's Strong Start Leads Intimidators to 2-1 Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 25 at Rome (Game 128) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 25) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.