Bats Bust out in 10-4 Win over Greensboro
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads bats broke loose to defeat the Greensboro Grasshoppers 10-4 on Sunday night. The 'Dads won the series two games to one and scored 28 runs across the three games. The win also cuts the Crawdads magic number to four.
Greensboro took an early 1-0 lead, putting a run on the board in the first inning.
The Crawdads rallied for a pair of runs in the sixth to pull ahead 2-1. Kole Enright began the inning with a bunt single and advanced to second on a ground out by Frainyer Chavez. Josh Jung drove a double to right to score Enright. Tyreque Reed hit an RBI single to put the 'Dads in front.
The Grasshoppers retook the lead in the top of the seventh with three runs.
The 'Dads quickly tied things back up in the bottom half of the inning. Ryan Anderson started the rally with a single. Pedro Gonzalez doubled to bring Anderson in to score and cut the deficit to one. Matt Whatley laid down a sacrifice bunt to move Gonzalez to third base. Enright and Chavez drew walks to load the bases for Jax Biggers. Biggers delivered a sacrifice fly to center to even the score at 4 runs each.
In the eighth the Crawdads broke the game open, putting up a six-run frame. Melvin Novoa singled and was lifted for pinch-runner Jonathan Ornelas. Anderson singled and Gonzalez was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Matt Whatley singled to score Ornelas and keep the bases full. Enright was hit by a pitch, bringing in Anderson. Chavez hit a bases-clearing double to put the 'Dads ahead by five runs. Jung, the ninth batter of the inning, singled to drive in Chavez and cap off the scoring.
The Crawdads hit the road tomorrow for four games with a chance to clinch the wild card. They return on Friday night for the last fireworks show of the season presented by Wes-Co Enterprises and Big Dawg 92.1. It is also Wizard Night and fans that dress as their favorite wizard can get a discounted $6 ticket.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Lexington Steals Series Finale with 9-5 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dogs Offense Remains Cold as Charleston Falls in Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bats Bust out in 10-4 Win over Greensboro - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Late Rally Not Enough in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Late Innings Lift Tourists Past Drive, 7-6 - Greenville Drive
- Come from Behind Win Keeps Asheville in First - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Smoke 'Birds in Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Johnson's Quality Start Lifts Power to Series Sweep - West Virginia Power
- Suns Take Series with Emphatic Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Power Hold off Claws Rally in Ninth, Win 6-4 - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Long's Strong Start Leads Intimidators to 2-1 Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 25 at Rome (Game 128) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 25) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.