Postseason Bound: Denver Earns Playoff Spot in 4-3 OT Loss
MOLINE, Ill. - The Denver Cutthroats locked up a playoff spot in their inaugural season of play after earning a point in a 4-3 overtime loss to the Quad City Mallards on Tuesday night at iWireless Center in front of 2,025.
The Cutthroats (29-26-9) trailed 3-0 in the game before forcing overtime with a comeback effort. The Fish fall one point back of Quad City (31-26-6) in the standings for sixth place. Mathematically the Cutthroats can finish the season as high as sixth in the league or as low as eighth.
Patrick Levesque tallied the overtime-winner for the Mallards deflecting a shot at 2:23 of the extra frame.
Jamie MacQueen began the comeback effort for Denver with a power play tally from the slot with 4:01 left in the second.
In the third, Michael Trebish made it a 3-2 deficit with a wrist shot off the post from the point at 3:42. Joel Chouinard knotted the score at 11:41 of the third on the power play from the center of the blue line.
Kent Patterson stopped 17-of-21 shots for the Cutthroats in the loss. John Murray turned aside 34 shots in the win for the Mallards.
Denver finished 2-for-4 on the power play while the Mallards went 1-for-5.
Mickey Lang on the power play, Jason Kostadine, and Jason Dixon each scored for the Mallards in the second to build Quad City's initial lead.
The Cutthroats close out their regular season with a weekend set at Rapid City beginning on Friday at 7:05 PM MST.
1. John Murray (QDC)
2. Jason Dixon (QDC)
3. Patrick Levesque (QDC)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2013
- Rush Net Four Unanswered En Route to 5-2 Win over Oilers - Rapid City Rush
- Robinson Nets Game-Winner in 4-3 Win over Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Postseason Bound: Denver Earns Playoff Spot in 4-3 OT Loss - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Clinch Playoff Berth with Overtime Win - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers Fall to Rush in Series Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Battle Back to Beat Blaze, 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Blaze Eliminated in Battle with Mavericks - Bloomington Blaze
- Sundogs Clinch Playoff Spot - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Playoff Tickets on Sale Thursday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Murray Named Oakley Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Week - Quad City Mallards
- Quad City's John Murray Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Wight Selected as CHL Man of the Year - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Travis Wight Named CHL Man of the Year - CHL
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspensions - CHL
- Fly Away to See the Americans in the Post-Season - Allen Americans
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster