Plymouth Whalers Evan Brophey, James Neal Named to Western Conference All-Star Team
PLYMOUTH - The Ontario Hockey League announced the Western and Eastern Conference teams that will play in the 2007 All-Star Classic at the Dow Event Center in Saginaw on Wednesday, January 31.
The first-place Plymouth Whalers (29-11-1-2) will be represented on the Western Conference All-Star team by center Evan Brophey and left wing James Neal.
"We're excited for Evan and James," said Plymouth President, General Manager and Head Coach Mike Vellucci. "They've both worked very hard over the last two seasons and deserve to be on the Western Conference All-Star Team."
Brophey - acquired by Plymouth in a trade with Belleville on Nov. 23, 2005 - is the Whalers' leading scorer with 18 goals and 53 assists for 71 points in 43 games. Brophey is tied for fourth overall in OHL scoring with London's Sam Gagner and leads the OHL with 52 assists. Brophey - selected by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 3rd round (68th overall) of the 2005 National Hockey League Entry Draft - is in his signing year. A veteran of the OHL, Brophey has scored 101 goals and 188 assists for 289 points and 332 PIM's in 296 games with Barrie, Belleville and now Plymouth.
Neal - originally selected by Plymouth in the 3rd round (44th overall) of the 2003 Ontario Hockey League Draft - has already been signed by the NHL's Dallas Stars. Dallas took Neal in the 2nd round (33rd overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Neal has improved offensively every season with Plymouth and currently has 18 goals with 24 assists for 42 points in 33 games. Neal is 23rd on the Whalers' all-time career scoring list with 59 goals and 91 assists for 150 points and 216 PIM's in 175 games.
Neal has just returned to the Plymouth lineup after helping Canada win the gold medal in the 2007 World Junior Championships.
A complete list of all-stars is available on www.ontariohockeyleague.com.
This year's All-Star Game features a Skills Competition on Tues. Jan. 30, with the All-Star Game taking place the next evening. Tickets can be purchased by calling (989) 497-7747.
Plymouth plays in Sault Sault Ste. Marie on Friday before returning home Saturday night to host Sarnia at 7:05 p.m. at the Compuware Sports Arena on Team Autograph Night. Tickets are available by calling the Compuware Sports Arena at (734) 453-8400 at by going to Ticketmaster at www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2007
- Ontario Hockey League Announces Rosters for the 2007 OHL All-Star Classic - OHL
- Battalion captain de Gray selected for OHL All-Star Classic - North Bay Battalion
- Torquato named OHL All-Star - Erie Otters
- Plymouth Whalers Evan Brophey, James Neal Named to Western Conference All-Star Team - Plymouth Whalers
- Three Spirit Selected to All-Star Roster - Saginaw Spirit
- Three Colts Named to Eastern Conference All-Star Team - Barrie Colts
- Guelph Storm this week - Guelph Storm
- Murray and Downie Selected To All-Star Team - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Plymouth Whalers Stories
- Plymouth Whalers Snatch Victory from Jaws of Defeat, Rebound to Beat Saginaw , 3-2
- Sonny Night in Plymouth: Plymouth Whalers Beat Sudbury, 7-1, on Saturday
- Plymouth Whalers Sold: Team to Move to Flint in 2015-16
- Windsor Doubles up Plymouth, 8-4, on Tuesday
- Plymouth Whalers Acquire Defenseman Sean Callaghan from Saginaw