Pizza Rats Win Pitcher's Duel over Aberdeen to Take Final Game of Series
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.-The Staten Island Pizza Rats, in their final game with the name this season, defeated the Aberdeen Ironbirds 1-0 in another pitcher's duel at Richmond County Bank Ballpark on Saturday night.
Tonight it was Blakely Brown for Staten Island and Houston Roth for Aberdeen who starred on the rubber. Brown threw six shutout innings and Roth answered with four shutout innings of his own.
The only run of the game was scored on an error in the fifth inning on an error by Aberdeen shortstop Joey Ortiz, which allowed David Metzgar to score. It ended up being the winning run in the game.
Staten Island's bullpen closed the door behind great appearances by Nick Ernst, Marcus Evey and the save from Barrett Loseke which closed the door. For Loseke, it was his fourth save of the season.
The Pizza Rats salvaged the final game of the series and now head on a four game, three-day road trip to Tri-City before returning home for a big three game series against Hudson Valley on Wednesday, Aug. 27. First pitch on Wednesday is scheduled for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Spikes Fall to Black Bears, 6-3, in Extras - State College Spikes
- Spikes Steal Two Games in Series at State College - West Virginia Black Bears
- Cyclones Fall in Extras, 3-2 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Tigers Fall to Hudson Valley in Shutout - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Vermont Wins 3-2 In Extras At Brooklyn - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Newest Renegades Do the Trick Over Tigers - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Aberdeen Drops Series Finale - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Cutters Schedule Doubleheader Tomorrow - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Tigers Add Catcher from GCL - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Crosscutters Rise and Shine in Morning Game Blowout at Batavia - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Fregia's Inside-the-Park Homerun Fuels Aberdeen Victory - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Peroni Homers in Loss to Scrappers - Auburn Doubledays
- Scrappers Final Regular Season Homestand August 28-September 2 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Pizza Rats Win Pitcher's Duel over Aberdeen to Take Final Game of Series - Staten Island Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Staten Island Yankees Stories
- "Despicable" Plan and Tactics Bring MiLB under MLB's Total Control
- Staten Island Yankees Issue Statement on New York Yankees Departure
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Shelved
- 2020 Season Update
- Staten Island Yankees Announce Partnership with "Feeding Our FrontlineÃ¢ÂÂ Campaign