Newest Renegades Do the Trick Over Tigers
WAPPINGERS FALLS, NY - New hurlers Jayden Murray and Ryan Jackson combined to hold the Tigers to three hits as the Hudson Valley Renegades defeated the Connecticut Tigers 3-0 Tuesday night at Dutchess Stadium to take the rubber game of their three-game series in front of 4,161 fans.
The game started as a scoreless pitcher's duel into the fifth inning when Hudson Valley broke the deadlock. Leftfielder K.V. Edwards launched a leadoff triple to left centerfield for his second three-bagger in as many nights. Three hitters later, with one away, centerfielder Garrett Hiott grounded out softly to second to bring in Edwards and give the Renegades a 1-0 lead.
After that it was all about the Renegades' pitching as Murray, making his Renegades debut, started and struck out 10 in six shutout innings while allowing only one hit and a walk. He went one over the minimum, and his 10 strikeouts tied the season-high for Hudson Valley pitchers.
Things stayed that way until the eighth when the Renegades extended their lead with two runs to put the game away. Rightfielder Hill Alexander started the frame with a walk, then went to second on a groundball single to right from rightfielder Jacson McGowan. After a flyout, catcher Jonathan Embry was walked to load the bases. That set the stage for second baseman Ben Troike who lined a single to left to plate Alexander and move everyone else up a base. After another shallow fly out, shortstop Greg Jones drew a bases-loaded walk to force in another run and up the Hudson Valley lead to 3-0.
After Murray left the game, it was Jackson who tossed the final three shutout innings and allowed two hits in registering a save in his first appearance with Hudson Valley.
The loss fell to Connecticut starter Marcos Jimenez (3-2) after he allowed a run on five hits over five frames.
The Renegades had eight hits in the game with Troike and designated hitter Luis Trevino picking up two apiece. Troike's RBI was his second of the series.
The Renegades now hit the road to begin a three-game series with the Staten Island Yankees tomorrow in a 7:00 start. Hudson Valley will send right-hander Edisson Gonzalez (4-2, 2.72 ERA) to the hill, while the Yankees will counter with southpaw Abismael Villaman (2-2, 3.52 ERA). Tickets are on sale and can be purchased online at hvrenegades.com, at the Dutchess Stadium ticket window, or by calling the ticket office at (845) 838-0094.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Spikes Fall to Black Bears, 6-3, in Extras - State College Spikes
- Spikes Steal Two Games in Series at State College - West Virginia Black Bears
- Cyclones Fall in Extras, 3-2 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Tigers Fall to Hudson Valley in Shutout - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Vermont Wins 3-2 In Extras At Brooklyn - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Newest Renegades Do the Trick Over Tigers - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Aberdeen Drops Series Finale - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Cutters Schedule Doubleheader Tomorrow - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Tigers Add Catcher from GCL - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Crosscutters Rise and Shine in Morning Game Blowout at Batavia - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Fregia's Inside-the-Park Homerun Fuels Aberdeen Victory - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Peroni Homers in Loss to Scrappers - Auburn Doubledays
- Scrappers Final Regular Season Homestand August 28-September 2 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Pizza Rats Win Pitcher's Duel over Aberdeen to Take Final Game of Series - Staten Island Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hudson Valley Renegades Stories
- Renegades Holiday Craft Fair Saturday, November 21st
- Renegades Craft Fair Saturday, October 24th
- Renegades 2020 Bobblection Set
- Bottom of the 9th Baseball Tournament Announced
- 2020 Season Announcement