Pirates Fall in Series Finale
For the fourth year in a row, the Bristol Pirates dropped their road series against the Pulaski Yankees with an 8-1 loss on Friday night.
The lone run of the game for Bristol came on a Mason Martin sacrifice fly in the sixth inning to score Victor Ngoepe from third base. Martin finished the night 1-for-3 with an RBI and two strikeouts. Six of the nine starters in Bristol's lineup got a hit in the loss, but none of them had multiple hits. Francisco Mepris had two stolen bases for the Pirates, giving him six on the season to move into a three-way tie for third-most in the Appalachian League.
Starter Oliver Garcia dropped to 0-2 for the season after allowing two runs on three hits and two walks with one strikeout over 2/3 innings pitched. Argenis Romano threw four innings of relief for the Pirates, and was tagged with his first runs allowed of the season. Romano had not allowed a run over his first 17 2/3 innings of the season before giving up a two-out, two-run double to Yankees first baseman Carlos Tatis.
Allen Montgomery made his second appearance of the series, allowing three runs -- one earned -- on four hits and one walk over 1 1/3 innings. Alec Rennard made his third career appearance, throwing two shutout innings with two hits allowed while striking out three to close out the game.
The Pirates (11-12) begin a three-game series at Greeneville on Saturday night, with Roger Santana scheduled to start. Bristol opened the season with a series win against Greeneville, taking two of three games, and they are 4-2 over their six games at Pioneer Park. Santana is currently tied for second in the Appalachian League with three wins, and his 2.79 ERA and 1.09 WHIP are ranked fifth and fourth in the league respectively.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Pirates Fall in Series Finale - Bristol Pirates
- Cardinals Suffer Sweep by Twins - Johnson City Cardinals
- Hustle Play Hands D-Braves Four-Game Sweep - Danville Braves
- Mets Earn Series Win over Greeneville - Kingsport Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bristol Pirates Stories
- Bristol Pirates Announce 2019 Field Staff
- Bristol Pirates Mourn Pitching Coach Joey Seaver
- Bristol Pirates 2019 Appalachian League Schedule Released
- Francisco Mepris to Represent Bristol in Pirates Community Commitment Program
- Pirates Wrap Season with Extra-Innings Loss