Pirates Collect Fourth Straight Win
Portland, Maine - Kyle Wanvig's breakaway goal in the final minute of the second period turned out to be the game winner as the Portland Pirates knocked off the Hartford Wolf Pack 3-2 in an American Hockey League game played today in front of 4,751 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.
Derek Whitmore and Mike Weber also scored for the Pirates, who posted their fourth straight win and extended their points streak to eight games (6-0-1-1). The victory helped Portland improve to 42-22-6-4.
Ryan Garlock and Dale Weise scored for the Wolf Pack, who saw their three-game winning streak come to an end. Hartford is now 31-31-6-5 on the season.
The Pirates got off to a quick start as Whitmore scored just 22 seconds into the game to give the home side a 1-0 lead. Weber connected on the power play midway through the first to up the count to 2-0 Pirates after one. The Wolf Pack evened things up early in the second as Byers and Weise scored within 48 seconds of one another to event the count at two. Wanvig, who also registered an assist in the game, gave Portland a 3-2 lead after two when he converted on a breakaway in the final minute of the second.
The Wolf Pack out shot the Pirates 30-26 in the game as Todd Ford posted his second victory in as many tries with Portland.
The Allied Home Mortgage Three Stars of the Game were 1. Wnvig, 2. Weber and 3. Garlock.
The Pirates return to action Friday when they travel to Springfield to meet the Falcons in a 7:30 p.m. start. Saturday Portland is in Bridgeport to face the Sound Tigers at 7 p.m. Both games can be heard live on News Talk WLOB 95.5 FM or on-line at portlandpirates.com beginning with the pre-game show 15 minutes prior to the opening face-off.
The next Pirates home game takes place Sunday, April 4th when the Providence Bruins visit the CCCC for a 4 p.m. start. Celebrate Easter with the Pirates as the Easter Bunny will be in attendance to take pictures and interact with kids and, in the spirit of the holiday, the Good Sheppard Food Bank will be collecting food items for the less fortunate. Donate a non-perishable food item and receive two free tickets to the Pirates regular season finale against Worcester on Sunday, April 11th. The Pirates will also welcome all Student Achievers and their families from across the state to the game. If you would like more information about the Pirates Student Achiever Program visit portlandpirates.com.
Tickets for the game are available by calling (207) 775-3458, visiting the Cumberland County Civic Center Box Office or going on-line at portlandpirates.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 28, 2010
- Mauldin Scores Game-Winning Goal In Win Over Lowell - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Fall In Overtime 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Fall To River Rats 5-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Peoria Rivermen Sneak By Houston Aeros In 5-4 Shootout Victory - Houston Aeros
- Martinez Leads Fantastic Four - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Succumb To Sound Tigers, 4-2 - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Suffer Big Loss - Connecticut Whale
- Late Power-Play Goals Lead Rampage Past Monsters, 4-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Clinch Playoff Spot, Shutout Wolves 5-0 - Texas Stars
- Vesce's Late Heroics Propel Sharks Over Penguins - Worcester Sharks
- Stars Whitewash Wolves, 5-0 - Chicago Wolves
- Pirates Collect Fourth Straight Win - Portland Pirates
- Albany Cruises Past Falcons 5-1 - Albany River Rats
- Moose Recall Taylor Ellington - Manitoba Moose
- Columbus Recalls Center Trevor Frischmon - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Release Ned Lukacevic - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Host Marlies At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Heat Fall to Bulldogs 4-0 - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.