Physical Battle Ends With Musketeer Loss In Ot
FARGO, ND - The Musketeers were back at Scheels Arena to try and complete a two game sweep of the Fargo Force on Friday night. It was a physical battle in which the Musketeers fought hard but ultimately fell in overtime by a final score of 2-1
After a Thursday night matchup that didn't see much in the way of big hits and post-whistle scrums tonight's 1st period had both of those. Both teams seemed to be ramping up the physical play resulting in multiple penalties that gave both teams the opportunity to strike with the man advantage. Neither team could find the back of the net on the powerplay, but the Musketeers would not escape the period unscathed.
Josh Nodler poke a rebound backhand shot past the outstretched pad of Ben Kraws at the 17:36 mark to give the Fargo Force a 1-0 lead and send the teddy bears flying on Fargo's teddy bear toss night. Sioux City failed to get anything going offensively in the period, sending them the locker room with a one-goal deficit.
While the offense didn't increase in the 2nd period the physical play certainly did. The physicality culminated in a big center ice bout between Josh Bohlin and Ondrej Pavel with just under 5 minutes to play in the period. The Force would get a chance on the powerplay at the end of the period, but Ben Kraws and the Sioux City penalty kill held off the Force powerplay to keep the Musketeer deficit at one.
The physical play would carry over the 3rd period, and thankfully Sioux city would be able to take advantage. Ross Mitton tried to lure Martin Pospisil into a penalty. Pospisil didn't take the bait, and as a result, Mitton was sent to the box for roughing. On the ensuing powerplay, Pospisil faked a shot from the left side before passing to a waiting Ian Malcolmson in front of the net. Malcolmson received the puck and quickly turned around, throwing the puck into the far corner of the net to tie the game at one at the 7:54 mark. Pospisil and Luke Johnson had the assists on the goal.
Neither team could find any offense the rest of the period sending this one to overtime.
Fargo started overtime with 1:25 of powerplay time due to a holding call on Anthony Kehrer at the end of regulation. The Musketeers would almost kill off the 4 on 3 powerplay but Josh Nodler would send one home to give the Force a 2-1 overtime victory.
Ben Kraws was outstanding in net for the Musketeers, stopping 32 of 34 shots while Ryan Bischel stopped 24 for Fargo.
Sioux City will have to leave this game behind in Fargo as they turn around to play tomorrow night in Sioux Falls. Puck drop set for 7:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Hawks Shut out in Kearney - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Physical Battle Ends With Musketeer Loss In Ot - Sioux City Musketeers
- Saints Equalize with 00.2, Maccelli Wins It in Overtime - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede Roll Past Lancers, 4-1 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Stars Drop Second Straight, Lose 4-2 to Des Moines - Lincoln Stars
- Team USA Edges Past Central Illinois, 1 to 0 - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Preview - Stars vs Buccaneers - Lincoln Stars
- Gameday Preview: Tri-City Hosts Waterloo Tonight at Viaero Center - Tri-City Storm
- Gamblers Welcome Back Maksim Zhukov - Green Bay Gamblers
- Saints Hit the Road for Final Tilt in Green Bay - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Local Hockey Fans to Throw Teddy Bears on Ice During Game to Support Kids with Developmental Disabilities - Chicago Steel
- Musketeers Finish The Force On Thursday Night - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.