Team USA Edges Past Central Illinois, 1 to 0
PLYMOUTH, Mich. - The Central Illinois Flying Aces were blanked by the U.S. National Under-17 Team, 1 to 0, in a goalie duel.
The first two periods of the game were scoreless as both goalies, Mitchell Gibson (Phoenixville, Penn.) for the Flying Aces and Drew Commesso for Team USA, made plenty of saves for their respective teams.
Team USA controlled the pace of the game through the first period, outshooting Central Illinois 14 to 6. The Flying Aces picked things up for the second, and they outshot USA, 10 to 5. Play was evenly matched in the third with Central Illinois holding a slight lead as they outshot USA, 6 to 5.
Both teams had several power play chances, but neither could capitalize on their opportunities. Each team had strong defensive games as the teams blocked countless opportunities.
Team USA struck first at 14:41 in the third when Owen Gallatin scored with a wrist shot from the point. There were at least four bodies screening Gibson in the slot including a USA player in the crease.
Central Illinois pulled the netminder, but couldn't crack Commesso to get on the board.
Full video recap is available here.
Tomorrow, the Flying Aces get their chance for revenge against Team USA again at USA Hockey Arena. On Sunday (Jan. 13), they face the Muskegon Lumberjacks in Muskegon. Next weekend, they ravel to Chicago on Friday, January 18. Their next home game is Monday, January 21st at 1:07 p.m. as they take on the Madison Capitols.
For tickets or more information, call the Flying Aces at 309-434-2980 or visit www.flyingaceshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Hawks Shut out in Kearney - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Physical Battle Ends With Musketeer Loss In Ot - Sioux City Musketeers
- Saints Equalize with 00.2, Maccelli Wins It in Overtime - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede Roll Past Lancers, 4-1 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Stars Drop Second Straight, Lose 4-2 to Des Moines - Lincoln Stars
- Team USA Edges Past Central Illinois, 1 to 0 - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Preview - Stars vs Buccaneers - Lincoln Stars
- Gameday Preview: Tri-City Hosts Waterloo Tonight at Viaero Center - Tri-City Storm
- Gamblers Welcome Back Maksim Zhukov - Green Bay Gamblers
- Saints Hit the Road for Final Tilt in Green Bay - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Local Hockey Fans to Throw Teddy Bears on Ice During Game to Support Kids with Developmental Disabilities - Chicago Steel
- Musketeers Finish The Force On Thursday Night - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.