Hawks Shut out in Kearney
Isaiah Saville made 38 saves and the Tri-City Storm blanked the Waterloo Black Hawks 3-0 at Viaero Center in Kearney, Nebraska, on Friday.
The Tri-City Storm recorded two first period goals; both were in power play situations. Ronnie Attard beat a screened Jared Moe from above the left dot at 5:04. Toward the end of the period at 16:54, Attard brought the puck to the slot; the rebound of his initial chance provided the opportunity for Brendan Furry to stuff in a second power play goal.
The Storm added another goal while skating five-on-three. A laser from Zac Jones originating from the top of the right circle went under the crossbar as the first penalty to the Black Hawks was ending at 4:33.
The third period finished without any scoring, as Waterloo put 17 shots on goal to Tri-City's four.
Waterloo and Tri-City square off again on Saturday at 7:05 in central Nebraska.
Waterloo 0 0 0 - 0
Tri-City 2 1 0 - 3
1st Period-1, Tri-City, Attard 11 (Furry, Jones), 5:04 (PP). 2, Tri-City, Furry 11 (Attard, Jones), 16:54 (PP). Penalties-Haskins Wat (tripping), 4:43; Attard Tc (slashing), 8:26; Sorensen Wat (bench minor-too many men), 9:30; Bakich Wat (elbowing), 14:08; Palmer Wat (holding), 15:51; Colella Tc (hooking), 19:14.
2nd Period-3, Tri-City, Jones 4 (Furry, Attard), 4:33 (PP). Penalties-Drkulec Wat (tripping), 2:32; Palmer Wat (holding), 3:26; Jones Tc (tripping), 7:34; Caponi Wat (roughing), 13:42; Attard Tc (tripping), 13:51.
3rd Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Caponi Wat (slashing), 2:44; McWard Tc (slashing), 5:26; Jones Tc (boarding), 8:16; Schingoethe Wat (holding), 14:27; Kalezic Tc (slashing), 15:24.
Shots on Goal-Waterloo 9-12-17-38. Tri-City 8-9-4-21.
Power Play Opportunities-Waterloo 0 / 7; Tri-City 3 / 10.
Goalies-Waterloo, Moe 10-7-2-1 (14 shots-11 saves); Stein 9-2-1-0 (7 shots-7 saves). Tri-City, Saville 15-2-1-1 (38 shots-38 saves).
Referees-Jake Jackson, Andrew Rasky.
Linesmen-Mack Darcy, Josh Smith.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Hawks Shut out in Kearney - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Physical Battle Ends With Musketeer Loss In Ot - Sioux City Musketeers
- Saints Equalize with 00.2, Maccelli Wins It in Overtime - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede Roll Past Lancers, 4-1 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Stars Drop Second Straight, Lose 4-2 to Des Moines - Lincoln Stars
- Team USA Edges Past Central Illinois, 1 to 0 - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Preview - Stars vs Buccaneers - Lincoln Stars
- Gameday Preview: Tri-City Hosts Waterloo Tonight at Viaero Center - Tri-City Storm
- Gamblers Welcome Back Maksim Zhukov - Green Bay Gamblers
- Saints Hit the Road for Final Tilt in Green Bay - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Local Hockey Fans to Throw Teddy Bears on Ice During Game to Support Kids with Developmental Disabilities - Chicago Steel
- Musketeers Finish The Force On Thursday Night - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.