Philip Tomasino Drafted to Nashville Predators
St. Catharines, ON - Philip Tomasino became the newest member of the Nashville Predators, after being selected in the first round (24th overall) on June 21st. Philip was selected by the Predators after the 6'00, 180lb centre/winger put up 34 goals and 38 assists, for 72 points this past season, setting career highs. The second-year forward played important minutes, in all situations, including the penalty kill and late in the game.
IceDogs General Manager Joey Burke, who is on-site at the NHL Draft, was excited to witness such an exciting accomplishment for Philip.
"There is no one more deserving than Phil. I couldn't be happier for him and his family" said GM Burke. "Since his minor midget days with the Rebels, I knew that he was a special talent, but the maturity he shows off the ice, and the way he carries himself like a pro impresses me every day. There is no doubt in my mind he is going to be a great pro. Nashville is a great fit for Phil, and we will work together on his development every step of the way. To watch such a great young man's dreams coming true is the absolute best part of my job. This is an extremely exciting time for the Tomasino and IceDogs family!"
Tomasino, who was honoured to put on the Predators jersey, was speechless, trying to describe how he felt being drafted in the first round to Nashville, saying "A lot of guys say you can't really describe it, and I think it's pretty true". He recalled that Draft night was "easily the best night of my life".
Tomasino was selected 5th in Ontario Hockey League draft, highest drafted player in Niagara IceDogs history, and is the teams first 1st round NHL draft pick since 2014, when Brendan Perlini was selected 12th overall to the Arizona Coyotes.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 22, 2019
- 71 CHL Players Selected in 2019 NHL Draft - OHL
- NHL's Vegas Picks Primeau - North Bay Battalion
- NHL Devils Draft 67's Duo - Ottawa 67's
- Two Petes Selected in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Peterborough Petes
- Keppen Selected by Vancouver Canucks Fourth Round, 122nd Overall - Flint Firebirds
- Vukojevic and Meireles Selected in the 2019 NHL Draft in Vancouver, BC - Kitchener Rangers
- LeGuerrier Selected by Montreal in Round 5 - Soo Greyhounds
- Kolyachonok Selected by Florida Panthers Second Round, 52nd Overall - Flint Firebirds
- Four OHL Players Selected in First Round of 2019 NHL Draft - OHL
- Philip Tomasino Drafted to Nashville Predators - Niagara IceDogs
- 13 CHL Players Selected in First Round of 2019 NHL Draft - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.