Keppen Selected by Vancouver Canucks Fourth Round, 122nd Overall
Vancouver, B.C. - The Vancouver Canucks selected Flint Firebirds forward Ethan Keppen in the fourth-round, 122nd overall, of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft Saturday, making him the seventh Flint Firebird to drafted in the of the National Hockey League in just four years.
Firebirds' NHL Draft Central
Keppen, a 6-foot-2, 212-pound forward, played in all 68 games with the Firebirds this season, finishing tied for second on the team in points (59). He tripled his goal production (30) and more than tripled both his assists (29) and points in one season. Keppen earned the 'Blue Collar Worker,' 'Combined Academic & Athletics Excellence Award,' and 'Most Improved Player' awards at the end-of-year Firebirds' player awards banquet. The Whitby, Ont., native was Flint's first-round draft pick, 10th overall, in the 2017 OHL Draft.
Since the Flint Firebirds' inception four season ago in 2015, the club has now had 17 drafted or NHL signed players on its roster consisting of Will Bitten (Montreal), Dennis Busby (Arizona), Nick Caamano (Dallas), Connor Chatham (New Jersey), Ty Dellandrea (Dallas) Fedor Gordeev (Toronto), Ethan Keppen (Vancouver), Kyle Keyser (Boston Bruins), Vladislav Kolyachonok (Florida), Nick Mattinen (Toronto), Brent Moran (Dallas), Alex Nedeljkovic (Carolina), Alex Peters (Dallas), Vili Saarijarvi (Detroit), Kole Sherwood (Columbus), Jalen Smereck (Arizona) and Josh Wesley (Carolina).
For the past five seasons, the OHL has sent more players to the NHL than any other league in the world. The OHL is first in the world in total players selected in the NHL Draft (197), first and second round selections combined (76), defenseman (80) and forwards (122). On NHL opening day rosters in October, one-in-four players (26.4%) competing in the NHL were alums of the OHL, which is also the highest percentage in the world.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 22, 2019
- 71 CHL Players Selected in 2019 NHL Draft - OHL
- NHL's Vegas Picks Primeau - North Bay Battalion
- NHL Devils Draft 67's Duo - Ottawa 67's
- Two Petes Selected in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Peterborough Petes
- Keppen Selected by Vancouver Canucks Fourth Round, 122nd Overall - Flint Firebirds
- Vukojevic and Meireles Selected in the 2019 NHL Draft in Vancouver, BC - Kitchener Rangers
- LeGuerrier Selected by Montreal in Round 5 - Soo Greyhounds
- Kolyachonok Selected by Florida Panthers Second Round, 52nd Overall - Flint Firebirds
- Four OHL Players Selected in First Round of 2019 NHL Draft - OHL
- Philip Tomasino Drafted to Nashville Predators - Niagara IceDogs
- 13 CHL Players Selected in First Round of 2019 NHL Draft - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.