Philadelphia Union Kick Off July 9 in MLS is Back Tournament
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union today announced a television special, streamed pre- and postgame shows, and a socially distant, outdoor watch party at Subaru Park surrounding the Union's return to play as a part of the MLS is Back Tournament. The Philadelphia Union will take the field on Thursday, July 9 at 9 a.m. ET (ESPN) against NYCFC in what will mark the return of Philadelphia sports.
To celebrate the team's return, the Union has announced the following:
Philadelphia Union: MLS is Back Special presented by Premier Orthopaedics - Tuesday, July 7 @ 8 p.m. ET on PHL17: In the one-hour special, hosts Dave Leno and Union alumni Sébastien Le Toux will highlight the start and return of the Union's 2020 campaign as well as provide an in depth breakdown of the MLS is Back Tournament.
Season Ticket Member Watch Party presented by ACME - Thursday, July 9 @ 8 a.m. ET at Subaru Park: The Union will host a socially distant, outdoor watch party exclusively for 200 season ticket holders, in accordance with Pennsylvania and Delaware County health and safety guidelines. Attending fans will have an enhanced in-stadium watch party experience from Subaru Park's brand new 109' x 32' HDR Video Board and be able to visit the Union shop beginning at 7:30 a.m. ET (limit ten guests in store at a time). Masks are mandatory for all attendees at the event. Additional information about future watch parties will be announced at a later date. Depending on game, Union partners Bimbo Bakeries USA, BODYARMOR, or Chick-fil-A will provide snacks and refreshments for attending fans.
Pre- and Postgame Shows on PhiladelphiaUnion.com and Philadelphia Union Social Media Channels: Each Union game of the group stage will feature a pre- and/or postgame show with commentary from the fan's favorite personalities. The July 9 game against NYCFC will feature a one-hour pregame show beginning at 8 a.m. ET and a 30-minute postgame show immediately following the match featuring Dave Leno and Sébastien Le Toux. The July 14 match-up against Nashville SC will feature a one-hour pregame show (7 p.m. ET) and a postgame show for the July 19 game against Inter Miami CF, both with JP Dellacamera and Sébastien Le Toux. Digital re-airs of each broadcast, presented by Bimbo Bakeries USA, will be streamed on PhiladelphiaUnion.com 48 hours after the original airing.
Virtual Watch Parties: Many fans will receive a special invitation to join live virtual watch parties during the Union's MLS Is Back Tournament matches. Fans in these watch parties may be shown on the jumbotron at the match itself or on television. To celebrate a week out from the first game, the Union hosted a socially distant send-off at Subaru Park on July 2 in which masked fans lined the street, spaced ten feet apart, waving flags as the team left to head to Orlando.
As part of Major League Soccer's MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando, Fl., the Philadelphia Union will take the field for the first time since March 8 and will be the first Philadelphia professional sports team to return to play. The Union will face NYCFC on July 9, Nashville SC on July 14, and Inter Miami CF on July 19 in the group stage of the tournament.
Game 1: New York City FC (Thursday, June 9th; 9 a.m. ET on ESPN, ESPN Deportes)
Game 2: Nashville SC (Tuesday, June 14th; 8 p.m. ET on TUDN)
Game 3: Inter Miami CF (Sunday, June 19th; 10:30 p.m. ET on FS1, TUDN) The MLS is Back Tournament is the league's restart to the 2020 season with MLS clubs competing at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida beginning July 8. The tournament, which will be played without fans in attendance, provides a compelling way for MLS to resume its 25th season. Group stage matches will count in the MLS regular season standings and the tournament winner will earn a spot in the 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 7, 2020
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Orlando City SC - Inter Miami CF
- Soccer Is Back: the Lions' Long Awaited Return Looms - Orlando City SC
- How MLS Is Back Tournament Broadcasts Will Deliver Unique Viewing Experience - Colorado Rapids
- Audi of America and Major League Soccer Celebrate the 2020 Season and Reignite Commitment to Youth Development in North America - MLS
- LAFC Welcomes Four New Corporate Partners - Los Angeles FC
- Lions Make Final Preparations for MLS Is Back Opener - Orlando City SC
- MLS Announces Time Change for Earthquakes vs. Seattle Match on Friday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union Kick Off July 9 in MLS is Back Tournament - Philadelphia Union
- Whitecaps FC Announce Roster Updates for MLS Is Back Tournament - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire FC's First MLS Is Back Tournament Match against Nashville SC Postponed - Chicago Fire
- #MLSisBack Storylines: City vs. Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Launch Pledge 74 Community Initiative - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Opening Match vs. Chicago Fire in the MLS Is Back Tournament Postponed - Nashville SC
- Toronto FC Tournament Opening Match Moved to July 12 - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Schedule Update - D.C. United
- MLS Is Back Tournament Schedule Update - MLS
- Patrick Leduc Named Director of Impact Academy - Montreal Impact
- Orlando City to Face Inter Miami CF in Inaugural Match on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF to Resume Inaugural Season in MLS Is Back Tournament Opening Match - Inter Miami CF
- FC Cincinnati launch "WFH" Kits ahead of MLS is Back Tournament - FC Cincinnati
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union on to MLS is Back Semifinals
- Sergio Santos scores match winner, Union advance to MLS is Back Tournament Quarterfinals
- Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando
- Five players make their debut in Union II's return to play
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract