Philadelphia Union Acquire Midfielder Joaquín Torres
January 26, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Philadelphia Union News Release
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that they have acquired midfielder Joaquín Torres from CF Montreal in exchange for $250,000 in 2023 General Allocation Money (GAM) and $250,000 in 2024 GAM. As part of the agreement, CF Montreal could receive up to an additional $300,000 in conditional GAM if certain performance conditions are met. The 25-year-old Argentine will be added to the Union's active roster following receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P1 Visa and will occupy an international roster slot.
Assets for Media Use: Photos of Joaquin Torres
Philadelphia Union Head Coach Jim Curtin will be holding a virtual press conference today, January 26, at 1:30 p.m. ET. Members of the media interested who would like to join can do so and entering Union2023 when prompted for a password.
"Joaquín offers a new dimension to our attack with his ball progression skills and aggressive, forward-moving mindset," said Philadelphia Union Sporting Director, Ernst Tanner. "He excels at creating opportunities as well as finishing, and his dynamic, proactive movements are exactly what we were looking to add to our attack."
Torres signed on loan with CF Montreal for the 2021 season before joining on a permanent transfer from Argentinian club, Newell's Old Boys, ahead of their 2022 campaign. In his two seasons with Montreal, Torres made 55 appearances (37 starts), registering seven goals and 12 assists in that time. His 45 key passes were the third-most of any Montreal player over the past two seasons, as was his 25 shots on target over the same time span. Prior to joining CF Montreal, he was loaned out to Greek Super League side Volos in 2019, scoring four goals in 24 appearances. Torres made his MLS debut with CF Montreal on May 8, 2021 against the Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union acquire midfielder Joaquín Torres in exchange for $250,000 in 2023 General Allocation Money (GAM) and $250,000 in 2024 GAM and up to $300,000 in conditional GAM should certain performance metrics be met, on January 26, 2023.
Name: Joaquín Torres
Weight: 148 lb.
Born: January 28, 1997
Birthplace: Neuquén, Argentina
Hometown: Neuquén, Argentina
Acquired:Philadelphia Union acquire midfielder Joaquín Torres on January 26, 2023
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 26, 2023
- Nick Cushing: "I'Ve Been Hugely Impressed with Our Preseason Progress.Ã¢ÂÂ - New York City FC
- "It Brings Back Memories": William Yarbrough Soaks up Time in Home Country During Rapids' Preseason - Colorado Rapids
- Claudio Reyna Resigns as Sporting Director, to Continue with Austin FC as Technical Advisor - Austin FC
- Bmo Presents Preseason Match Between CF Montréal and PLSQ All-Stars - Club de Foot Montreal
- Sounders FC Preseason Update from Camp in Marbella, Spain - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Signs Midfielder Daniel Crisostomo and Goalkeeper Abraham Romero - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Announce 2023 Platform Match Schedule - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City SC Acquires Argentine Forward Ramiro Enrique as U22 Initiative Signing - Orlando City SC
- Vazquez Becomes First Active FC Cincinnati Player to Earn a Cap and Score for U.S. Men's National TeamÃÂ - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Acquire Midfielder Joaquín Torres - Philadelphia Union
- CF Montréal Concludes Trade with the Philadelphia Union - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Edged by Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Homegrown Defender Nathan Harriel to New Contract
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jakob Glesnes to New Contract
- Four Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call Ups
- CF Montréal Edges Philadelphia