Petes Community Gathers for 2018-19 Awards Banquet
(Peterborough, ON) - Peterborough Petes players, staff, family, and friends gathered at the Peterborough Memorial Centre on Friday, May 10 for the annual Awards Banquet. The night was packed with excellent presentations along with a phenomenal meal to commemorate the 2018-19 season.
Following speeches by President Dave Pogue, Interim Head Coach Andrew Verner, and captain Zach Gallant, the following awards were presented:
- Mark Teevens Trophy (most assists) - Ryan Merkley (57 assists)
- Ed Redmond Memorial Award (scholastics and hockey) - Tye Austin
- Outboard Marine Veterans Trophy (sportsmanship and ability) - Nick Robertson
- Black's Family Trophy (rookie of the year) - Cameron Butler
- Vince and Lottie Garvey Award (off-ice contribution) - Kevin Varrin
- Molson Cup (most three star selections voted by media) - Chris Paquette
- Don Marsh Award (most dedication to team) - Chad Denault
- Ed Rowe Memorial Trophy (most goals) - Chris Paquette (29 goals)
- Norm Bryan Award (most improved player) - Hunter Jones
- Ushers Trophy (best defenceman) - Declan Chisholm
- Bill Bennett Award (leading scorer) - Ryan Merkley (71 points)
- Gary Dalliday Award (community service) - Hunter Jones
- Petes Executive Trophy (most valuable player voted by teammates) - Declan Chisholm
Hunter Jones was the recipient of the inaugural Gary Dalliday Award, a new trophy to be given annually to the Petes player who excels most in the community.
"Perhaps no one in Peterborough recognized the importance of community more than 'The Diller'," commented Petes President Dave Pogue. "For that reason, this season the Petes have introduced this award."
In addition, the Booster Club, Board of Directors, and Alumni Association presented gifts to the graduating and overage players (Fraser, Timleck, Paquette, Osmanski, Curran, and Hanna).
At the end of the evening, General Manager Mike Oke made a final presentation thanking the many individuals who help the team function. To conclude the event, Oke introduced players selected in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection and 2019 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection, presenting them with a draft hat and Petes jersey.
The drafted players and other prospects will compete at the 2019 Petes Development Camp on Saturday, May 11 at the Kinsmen Civic Centre. Fans are encouraged to attend the camp, details on which can be found here.
Want to see the next wave of Petes talent in action all season long? Become a member of the Petes family with a Season Ticket Membership! The season ticket early-bird deadline is May 31, 2019. Call Mike at (705) 743-3681 ext. 263. Select sponsorship inventory is also available if you're interested in growing your brand. To learn more, contact Greg at (705) 743-3681 ext. 227.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from May 10, 2019
- Petes Community Gathers for 2018-19 Awards Banquet - Peterborough Petes
- 67's Comeback Falls Just Short in 4-3 Loss to Storm - Ottawa 67's
- Spirit Sign 2019 First Round Pick Connor Punnett to OHL Standard Player Agreement - Saginaw Spirit
- Rosters Announced for 5th-Annual Orientation Camp May 17-19 - Flint Firebirds
- Four Alumni Set to Compete at 2019 IIHF World Championship - Erie Otters
- Knights Off-Season Report - London Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.