Patriots Storm Back and Down Southern Maryland
Waldorf, Maryland - The Somerset Patriots (13-21, 55-49) came from behind to defeat the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs (18-16, 43-60) 5-2 on Friday night at Regency Furniture Stadium.
After a 30-minute rain delay, Southern Maryland started the scoring in the second inning. Cory Vaugh (18) powered a solo home run to left-center field to leadoff the inning.
Then, Jon Griffin (5) added a solo home run of his own to lead off the third inning.
Somerset struggled offensively early on only collecting three hits through the first six frames.
But the Patriots got offense started in the seventh inning with three straight singles to load the bases in the seventh inning. Next, Craig Massey drove in Mike Ohlman with a sacrifice fly to get Somerset on the scoreboard. Later in the inning, Alfredo Rodriguez drew a bases loaded walk to tie the game at 2-2.
The Patriots offense went back to work in the eighth inning as well. Justin Pacchioli reached on an error by first baseman Josh McAdams to begin the frame, then Jimmy Paredes and Mike Ohlman drew walks.
Later in the inning, Yovan Gonzalez worked a one out walk to score Pacchioli, the go-ahead run. Teodoro Martinez capped the inning off with a two-out, two-run single.
Vince Molesky (4-3) earned the win after working four relief innings and allowing just one run to score. Adam Choplick (0-2) takes the loss after three unearned runs scored in the eighth on his watch. Chris Beck (1) recorded his first save with Somerset.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots season presented by Ford continues with six more games on the road before the team returns home on Friday, August 23 to host the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots catcher Yovan Gonzalez
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Patriots Storm Back and Down Southern Maryland - Somerset Patriots
- Patriots Steal a Heartbreaker - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- 'Stormers Stumble after Early Lead - Lancaster Barnstormers
- 20th Ducks Alumnus Promoted to Major Leagues - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots Help Atlantic League Earn Designation as Partner League of Major League Baseball
- Patriots Win Seventh in a Row to Close out Series
- Scott Kelly Leads Patriots to 8-4 Win over Blasters
- Patriots Clinch Series with Win over Blasters
- Patriots Win Fourth in a Row over Blasters