Patrick Keating Activated, Rollins Retires
SPRINGDALE, AR - The Kansas City Royals made two transactions on Wednesday afternoon affecting the Northwest Arkansas roster. The related details are as follows:
Right-handed reliever Patrick Keating has been activated from the seven-day disabled list. Keating, who began the season as the Naturals' regular closer, was placed on the DL with shoulder soreness in mid-June. The 24-year old Harrisburg, IL resident and former Florida Gator is 2-3 with a 5.02 ERA in a team-high 22 appearances this season with seven saves in 12 chances.
The Royals' 20th round selection from Florida in the 2009 draft, Keating had ten saves in 27 appearances down the stretch with the Naturals last season and was the Naturals' ace reliever during the post-season. Prior to this season, he was ranked by Baseball America as the Royals' 22nd best prospect.
Keating takes the roster spot of right-hander Heath Rollins, who announced prior to Tuesday night's game that he was retiring. The Royals placed him on the voluntarily retired list. Rollins, a 26-year old resident of Lexington, SC, was in his first season with the Naturals and posted a 1-2 record and a 4.34 ERA in 17 appearances, including five starts. The veteran swingman also made four appearances with Triple-A Omaha. Originally the 11 th round selection of the Tampa Bay Rays in the 2006 draft, Rollins joined the Royals' organization last December in the minor league phase of the Rule 5 Draft.
After the roster moves, the Naturals' roster remains at the Texas League limit of 24 active players.
The Northwest Arkansas Naturals are the Double-A Texas League affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and play at state-of-the-art Arvest Ballpark, located in Springdale. Visit our website, nwanaturals.com, for information on season tickets and ticket plans.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 6, 2011
- H-E-B Bringing Jack Ingram to Ziegfest - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Patrick Keating Activated, Rollins Retires - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Summer Sizzles with Six at Dickey-Stephens Park - Arkansas Travelers
- Beamer Weems Placed On The Disabled List - San Antonio Missions
- Missions Begin Six-Game Home Stand Tomorrow - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Northwest Arkansas Naturals Stories
- Naturals Announce Sour Punch and Red Vines as the Presenting Sponsor of the Royals Exhibition Game at Arvest Ballpark
- Naturals to Host the Kansas City Royals in An Exhibition Game at Arvest Ballpark
- Take Batting Practice at Arvest Ballpark on Friday, August 21st and Saturday, August 29th
- Play Catch at Arvest Ballpark on Saturday, August 15th
- Northwest Arkansas Naturals Will Not Play in 2020 as Minor League Baseball Seasons Are Canceled