Owlz Close out Season with 6-5 Comeback Victory
OREM - The Orem Owlz rallied back from a 5-2 deficit on Thursday night, scoring four runs in the eighth inning and beating the Grand Junction Rockies 6-5 in their final game of the season.
Grand Junction opened things up with a 1-0 lead in the top of the first. Joey Bartosic scored from an Owlz error.
Kevin Maitan doubled to score Jeremiah Jackson and tie things up in the bottom of the first.
After a scoreless second inning, the Rockies scored three runs to take the 4-1 lead in the top of the third. Will Golsan kicked things off by scoring on a sacrifice fly. Then, Bartosic scored after John Cresto grounded. Zach Hall also scored from an Owlz fielding error.
Maitan hit an RBI double in the third inning. Maitan's double scored Jackson for the second time of the game. The double left the score at 4-2 in favor of the Rockies.
Grant Lavigne scored on a Franklin Garcia line drive to right field in the eighth inning bringing the lead to 5-2.
The bottom of the eighth featured four Owlz runs. Michael Stefanic scored on a Rayneldy Rosario double to start the inning off. D'Shawn Knowles hit what appeared to be a homer, but the umpire ruled it as a double. The play that was ruled as a double scored Rosario.
The Owlz rallied after Knowles' hit. Maitan scored after the Rockies threw a wild pitch. Knowles also scored when Connor Fitzsimons reached on a fielder's choice. The four runs gave the Owlz the 6-5 lead.
Orem closed things out with Adalberto Pena at the mound in the final inning. Pena struck out Stefanic and Bartosic before Lavigne came to plate. Lavigne grounded out to give the Owlz the win in their final game of the season.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from September 7, 2018
- Curtain Closes on Brewers for Final Time - Helena Brewers
- Voyagers Slide Past Billings for Game 1 Win - Great Falls Voyagers
- Defensive Mistakes Cost Mustangs in Game One Loss, 3-2 to Great Falls - Billings Mustangs
- Osprey Win 4th Straight to End Season - Missoula Osprey
- Voyagers Fall in Regular Season Finale - Great Falls Voyagers
- Owlz Close out Season with 6-5 Comeback Victory - Orem Owlz
- GJ Drops Regular Season Finale - Grand Junction Rockies
- Mustangs Roll into Playoffs with Four Straight Wins - Billings Mustangs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.