Otters Open Homestand with Thrilling Win over Freedom
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - In front of 5,695 fans at Bosse Field on Friday night, the Evansville Otters scratched out a 4-3 victory over the Florence Freedom to win their second straight one-run game.
Evansville got on the board in the second inning with two runs. The first run came in to score on a sacrifice fly and error off the bat of Hunter Cullen and Zach Welz then beat out an infield single to bring home the second run of the frame.
Florence tied the game with two in the fourth. Skylar Ewing tripled home a run to put the Freedom on the board and Ricky Ramirez Jr. then brought home Ewing with a single to tie the game.
Two runs in the bottom of the seventh pushed the Otters back on top. A wild pitch allowed J.J Gould to score from third and then Ryan Long brought home the second run with a single to center.
The Freedom made it a 4-3 game in the eighth thanks to a Jacob Wark RBI single.
With one out and Keivan Berges at second in the top of the ninth, Taylor Bryant singled to right and Berges attempted to score the game-tying run but Jeff Gardner threw him out at the plate to keep the Otters ahead 4-3. Alex Phillips then struck out the next hitter, Ryan Rinsky, to end the game and give the Otters the 4-3 victory.
Matt Chavarria picks up his second win of the season for the Otters after closing out the seventh inning with two strikeouts.
Tyler Gibson takes the loss for the Freedom. Gibson went 6.1 innings allowing four runs, three earned, while striking out five and walking one.
Spencer Medick started for the Otters and received a no-decision. Medick worked 6.1 innings giving up two runs on two hits while striking out six.
The Otters series with the Freedom continues tomorrow with a doubleheader at 5:05 p.m. at Bosse Field. The doubleheader will feature Breast Cancer Awareness Night, postgame fireworks, Indiana 811 popcorn giveaway, and a Wendy Mac backpack giveaway to go along with getting two games for the price of one. Join the Otters for a special night at Bosse Field as the organization wants to raise breast cancer awareness and recognize those who have fought breast cancer.
The final game of the series Sunday, August 12 is another opportunity to take advantage of the family fun day family package for $40 courtesy of the Evansville Courier and Press.
Following an off day for the Otters, the club finishes their six-game homestand with a midweek series against the Normal Cornbelters. Tuesday, August 14 is a $2 Tuesday with $2 popcorn and $2 General Admission tickets presented by 14 WFIE, and Thursday, August 16 is another Thirsty Thursday with special-price select beers and drafts.
Coverage of the series with the Freedom can be found on WUEV 91.5 FM presented by Kruckemeyer & Cohn with Sam Jellinek(play-by-play) and Bill McKeon(analyst) on the call.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Fighting Freedom Fall Short at Evansville - Florence Freedom
- Chirino Leads Belters to Eighth Straight Victory - Normal CornBelters
- Grizzlies Drop Opener to Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Ride Rozek, Clutch Hits to Win at Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Drop Heartbreaker to CornBelters - River City Rascals
- Otters Open Homestand with Thrilling Win over Freedom - Evansville Otters
- Kines Tosses Shutout as Boomers Open Long Homestand with Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Big Innings Cost Crushers In 12-6 Loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- Big Innings Propel Beach Bums to Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things, Windy City Postponed to August 11, Teams to Play Doubleheader - Washington Wild Things
- Big Promotions in Store for Slammers Final Six Games - Joliet Slammers
- Bullpen Leads the Way in Crushers Win - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.