Grizzlies Drop Opener to Miners
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies' bats were quiet again Friday night in a 5-2 loss to the Southern Illinois Miners at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (33-45) dropped its fourth straight game.
In their first visit to Sauget this year, the Miners (37-36) scored three runs in the fourth inning to take the lead and never trailed.
Audie Afenir hit his first Grizzlies home run in the bottom of the fourth as part of a 3-for-4 performance. Gateway's only other run came in the bottom of the ninth on Jeff Cardenas' RBI fielder's choice.
Mike Elwood (6-7) pitched a solid game, allowed three runs over 5 2/3 innings. He struck out seven and took the loss.
Brent Sakurai had the Grizzlies' only other multi-hit game.
Gateway and Southern Illinois will continue their series Saturday at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Fighting Freedom Fall Short at Evansville - Florence Freedom
- Chirino Leads Belters to Eighth Straight Victory - Normal CornBelters
- Grizzlies Drop Opener to Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Ride Rozek, Clutch Hits to Win at Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Drop Heartbreaker to CornBelters - River City Rascals
- Otters Open Homestand with Thrilling Win over Freedom - Evansville Otters
- Kines Tosses Shutout as Boomers Open Long Homestand with Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Big Innings Cost Crushers In 12-6 Loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- Big Innings Propel Beach Bums to Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things, Windy City Postponed to August 11, Teams to Play Doubleheader - Washington Wild Things
- Big Promotions in Store for Slammers Final Six Games - Joliet Slammers
- Bullpen Leads the Way in Crushers Win - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.