One Mistake Leads to Third Straight Loss
MODESTO, CA. - An error opened the door to the Modesto Nuts' 4-2 loss against the San Jose Giants on Tuesday night at John Thurman Field.
The decisive inning for both teams was the second inning. Gio Brusa led the second off with a line drive to shortstop Johnny Adams. Adams missed it allowing Brusa to reach against Nuts' (15-17) starter Ian McKinney (L, 1-2). John Riley followed up with a single to center to put two on before Logan Baldwin walked to load the bases. The first unearned run scored when Orlando Garcia was hit by pitch. Ryan Kirby drove in the second run with a RBI fielder's choice. After another HBP, the bases were loaded with two outs for Manuel Geraldo. He delivered what turned out to be the decisive hit. Geraldo rolled a groundball into the hole between second and first. Connor Kopach slid for the ball but it hopped over his glove and into shallow right to allow a pair of two-out runs to score.
McKinney would not allow another hit over five innings. Three of the four runs were unearned while McKinney struck out five and walked two.
The Nuts came back in the bottom of the second against Giants (12-20) starter Trenton Toplikar (W, 1-1). Luis Liberato started the inning with a single. After two quick outs, Kopach blooped a single into right that Liberato was able to go to third on. With Johnny Adams at the plate, Kopach swiped second. The throw to second kicked away allowing Liberato to score on the throwing error. Adams followed up with a RBI single to make it a two-run game.
The Nuts' would record just one more hit the rest of the game. Frank Rubio (S, 1/1) closed out a perfect ninth inning to send the Nuts to their third straight loss.
The Nuts and Giants continue their three-game series on Wednesday. First pitch against the Giants is at 4:05 p.m. Coverage on ModestoNuts.com will start at 3:50 p.m. Listen live online on your phone, tablet or PC.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Three Long-Balls in Rancho's Wednesday-Win - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- The California Burritos Are Coming to Town - Inland Empire 66ers
- Nightmare Ninth Sends Ports to 7-6 Loss - Stockton Ports
- Home Stand Kicks off with Win - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Quakes Earn Shutout over 66ers - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- One Mistake Leads to Third Straight Loss - Modesto Nuts
- JetHawks Walk off on McLaughlin Single - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Modesto Nuts Stories
- Modesto Nuts to Recognize Frontline Workers
- Modesto Nuts Partner with Crystal Creamery & Sutter Health to Recognize Frontline Workers
- MiLB Announce Cancellation of 2020 Season
- Modesto Nuts Announce Partnership with the Save Mart Companies to Offer Employment Opportunities to Game Day Staff
- Modesto Nuts Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First CampaignÃÂ