Offense Struggles in Loss to Tulsa
There were only seven hits, total, in Saturday night's game between Tulsa and the RockHounds. The Drillers had four of them, including the only two that mattered when all was said and done.
Zack McKinstry led off the fourth with a double into the right field corner and Omar Estevez, after falling behind, 0-2, ripped an RBI single up the middle for the game's first run. After the RockHounds missed scoring chances in the seventh and eighth, Tulsa scored twice in a "less than pretty" home half of the eighth (one hit, one walk, two errors) as the Drillers defeated the RockHounds, 3-0, Saturday night at ONEOK Field.
Matt Milburn (see below) rebounded from a tough start (last Sunday) against Corpus Christi with an outstanding performance. The right-hander gave up just one run on three hits (the other was a bunt single by Drew Avans in the seventh), while walking two and striking out eight in a tough loss.
Parker Curry followed "opener" Andre Scrubb to the mound, entering with two out in the second, and went 5? innings, allowing just two hits and two walks while striking out nine. Yordy Cabrera escaped an eighth-inning threat for the hold and Nolan Long retired the side in order in the ninth for his second save.
Texas League South Division
Saturday's games were a North Division sweep, including Northwest Arkansas' 14-3 trouncing of Amarillo, so the standings are unchanged.
The RockHounds and Sod Poodles (both 15-14) lead Corpus Christi (14-15) by one game ... and Frisco (11-17) by 3½ games.
Tulsa has feasted on the South Division in 2019. The Drillers are 23-9 versus the South, including a 6-2 mark against the RockHounds. The clubs met early in the season (at the end of April) and, while the 'Hounds took 2-of-3 at Security Bank Ballpark, the Drillers swept a three-game series in Tulsa and have won the first two games of the current series at ONEOK Field.
Matt Milburn's last four starts have provided a remarkable contrast. Corpus Christi, rather obviously his nemesis, scored 21 runs on 23 hits in 6? innings in the games of July 4 & 14 (a 28.35 earned run average). In his other two starts (July 9 at home against Amarillo and Saturday at Tulsa), Matt has allowed three earned runs on six hits over 14.0 innings ... a 1.93 ERA.
Tyler Ramirez (1-for-3, walk, single) extended his on-base streak to 12 games (9-41, .220).
On the anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing (or hoax, if you are among the doubters), here is our "one small step" statistic:
Edwin Diaz ripped a double to left field in the seventh inning, and the 'Hounds sure hope it was a sign of things to come.
With 44% of the starting lineup (Luis Barrera, Dairon Blanco, Greg Deichmann and Mikey White ) on the Injured List, the club is searching for offense. Edwin's double (his 23rd of the season and 36th extra-base hit) was a welcome site. He is just 2-for-32 in his last nine games (.063) and 13-for-78 (.167) in his last 23.
Sunday, July 21 vs. Tulsa Drillers
ONEOK Field Tulsa, Oklahoma
First pitch 7:05 p.m.
- Third of a four-game series and sixth of a seven-game road trip
- Radio: NewsTalk 550 with Bob Hards ... airtime 7:00 p.m.
TUL: Rob Zastryzny (LH, 0-1, 3.00)
RH: Kyle Friedrichs (RH, 3-5, 3.95)
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Errors Costly for Drillers in Shutout Loss - Tulsa Drillers
- Riders Blank Travs, 1-0 - Arkansas Travelers
- Bachar Quiets Naturals in 7-0 Shutout Victory to Mark Sod Poodles 50th Win - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Cards Homer Twice in 9th to Power Past Hooks, 3-2 - Springfield Cardinals
- More Great Pitching Helps Riders Trip up Travs - Frisco RoughRiders
- Offense Silenced in Amarillo, Naturals Fall, 7-0 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Cardinals Stun Hooks with Two Blasts in Ninth - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Offense Struggles in Loss to Tulsa - Midland RockHounds
- RockHounds Rally Falls Short in Loss to Tulsa - Midland RockHounds
- Sod Poodles' Morejon, Baez Receive First Call-Ups by San Diego Padres - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Gonzalez Drives in Three as Cards Top Hooks, 5-2 - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Midland RockHounds Stories
- Luzardo Electric in Scoreless 1st Start
- MLB Officially Announces Cancellation of 2020 Minor League Season
- Update for All USA Softball Ticket PurchasersÃÂ
- USA Softball Postpones "Stand Beside Her Tour" Due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Update on Midland RockHounds 2020 Season