New York Red Bulls Sign French Defender Jason Pendant
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have completed the transfer of French left back Jason Pendant, the club announced today. Pendant, 23, joins the Red Bulls from FC Sochaux-Montbéliard of France's Ligue 2. Pendant will occupy an international spot on the Red Bulls roster, and will be available for selection following receipt of his ITC and P-1 Visa.
"We are pleased to welcome Jason to our club," said Sporting Director Denis Hamlett. "In scouting Jason, we saw all the qualities of a Red Bull player, and we were extremely impressed with him during the interview process. He is a bright, mature young man that became a leader at Sochaux despite his young age. We look forward to getting him acclimated to our team and our league."
Pendant made his FC Sochaux-Montbéliard debut at 18 years old, in November of 2016 in a 2-1 win over Tours FC. Since then, the Sarcelles, France, native has made 72 appearances for the club with one goal and one assist. He has helped anchor a Les Lionceaux backline to 22 clean sheets and has most recently worn the captain's armband six times during the 2019-20 season.
"Jason is a player that we think will fit well in our philosophy and team," said Head Coach Chris Armas. "Jason is an outside back that can both defend and attack. We are excited with the opportunity to work with him and he is another example of our team getting stronger."
Pendant also represented France at Youth International levels, with appearances for the Under-16 and U-18 national teams. Pendant will be available for selection after receiving his P-1 Visa.
"First, I'm very happy to sign with RBNY," said Pendant. "It's a club that has won trophies, and where players like Thierry Henry and Youri Djorkaeff have played. I can't wait to get started and help the team win more trophies. I'm very excited to play in this beautiful stadium. I'm eager to meet the fans, to see the atmosphere at the stadium, and how they fire up the stadium."
Transaction: New York Red Bulls complete transfer of Jason Pendant, pending receipt of P-1 Visa and ITC, on March 10, 2020. Pendant will occupy an international spot on the Red Bulls roster.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 10, 2020
- Coronavirus Update to Fans - New York City FC
- eMLS Cup Postponed Following Cancellation of SXSW Amid Coronavirus Concerns - Colorado Rapids
- The Rivalry Grows: MLS All-Star Skills Challenge to Feature MLS vs. Liga Mx - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Academy Product Javier Casas - Chicago Fire
- Colorado Rapids' Younes Namli Finds Natural Fit in the Rockies After His Caucasus Misadventure - Colorado Rapids
- New York City FC Head Coach Ronny Deila Adds Efrain Juarez to Staff - New York City FC
- Timbers Defender Jorge Moreira Undergoes Successful Meniscectomy Procedure - Portland Timbers
- The Rivalry Grows: MLS All-Star Skills Challenge to Feature MLS vs. LIGA MX - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Club America - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Statement on COVID-19 Ahead of Home Match on March 14 - Columbus Crew SC
- New York Red Bulls Sign French Defender Jason Pendant - New York Red Bulls
- Orlando City SC Partners with Season Share to Provide Flexibility to Season Ticket Members - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Get Set for South Florida Home Debut as Mexico International Teammates Brace for a Clash on the Field - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Earthquakes Statement on Recent County of Santa Clara Public Health Department Mandate - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Return to Individual Training
- New York Red Bulls Announce Youth Programs Partnership with Centercourt FC
- New York Red Bulls Update on Red Bulls Academy
- Aaron Long to Represent New York Red Bulls in eMLS Tournament Special on FS1 and Fox Deportes
- New York Red Bulls Statement on NYCFC Confirmed Case of COVID-19