New York City FC Names Liam Manning Director of Coaching for the Academy
NEW YORK, N.Y. - New York City FC is pleased to announce that Liam Manning has been named Director of Coaching for the Academy, pending receipt of Visa.
Manning comes to New York with a wealth of experience in the academy structure of English football with stints at West Ham United F.C. and Ipswich Town F.C.
Manning said: "I'm delighted to join New York City FC which is a Club that has made huge strides since it began just a few short years ago. It has become one of the premier teams and Academies in the United States.
"It's a Club that has big plans for its Academy and I'm looking forward to building upon the great work that has already been done. I'm ready to begin and start developing the youngsters to help them reach their goal of one day playing for the NYCFC first team."
Manning was most recently with the U-23 coach for English Premier League side West Ham. In his time with the Irons, Manning's U-23 side won the Premier League Cup title and oversaw the development of players from the youth ranks to the first team including English international Declan Rice.
While at West Ham, Manning also served as the Head of Coaching U-17 - U-23 and as an assistant Academy Manager. In his nearly four years at the Club, he was heavily involved in the day-to-day operations of the Academy including training programs, loan decisions, schedule management, and coaching staff mentoring.
At NYCFC, Manning will work closely with Sporting Director Claudio Reyna and Academy Director Sam Pugsley to ensure the Academy's playing style and philosophy across all ages is aligned with the Club's footballing ethos.
NYCFC Academy Director Sam Pugsley said: "We are very excited to have Liam join us as the Club's Director of Coaching. He is an experienced coach with a track record of success in the English leagues and brings with him a proven style and methodology. Liam will focus on the Academy's coaching programs, both team and individual as well as technical and tactical.
"Our current coaches throughout the Academy have proven to be excellent developers of talent. In just a short time as a Club, we've already had three Academy products sign first team contracts. We're thrilled to have Liam join the Club and help us continue to build and develop the pathway to professional soccer for players in the Tri-State area."
His coaching career began at Ipswich Town in 2006. Throughout his eight-and-a-half-year career at the Suffolk-based Club, Manning progressed from Head Coach of the U-13s to Lead Youth Development Coach.
In addition to developing players from the youth ranks to the first team, Manning oversaw the coaching development of former England international Paul Konchesky who is involved in the West Ham Academy and Anthony Limbrick, the first team assistant manager of English League Two side Grimsby Town F.C.
Manning will commence his duties with NYCFC after completing the current Premier League 2 campaign with West Ham United's U-23s on April 29.
Last week, the NYCFC Academy performed well at the Generation adidas Cup for the U-17s and the Dr. Pepper Dallas Cup for the U-19s-two of the premier youth soccer tournaments in the country.
Everyone at the Club would like to welcome Liam to NYCFC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 22, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 22, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Alejandro Pozuelo Named MLS Player of the Week - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: April 22, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire Academy Goalkeeper Damian Las Called up to U-17 U.S. Men's National Team for 2019 CONCACAF U-17 Championship - Chicago Fire FC
- New York City FC Names Liam Manning Director of Coaching for the Academy - New York City FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 2 Ã¢ÂÂ 1 New York City FC
- New York City FC Signs 2021 MLS SuperDraft Pick Vuk Latinovich
- New York City FC Signs Forward Thiago Andrade from EC Bahia
- YES Network Scheduled to Televise 29 New York City FC Regular Season Matches, Its Most Ever
- "NYCFC - Home for the City" 2021 Season Preview Show Debuts Friday, April 9