Toronto FC Midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo Voted MLS Player of the Week
April 22, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Toronto FC midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the eighth week of the 2019 MLS season.
Toronto defeated Minnesota United FC 4-3 at BMO Field on Friday behind two goals and an assist from Pozuelo, the second multigoal performance in his short MLS career. Through four matches played this season, Pozuelo has four goals and five assists, the latter tied for first in the league. Toronto sits tied for second in the Eastern Conference with 13 points (4-1-1 overall record).
After Minnesota took an early 1-0 lead, Toronto would equalize on Pozuelo's incredible strike in the 28th minute. The 27-year-old Spaniard dribbled from the opposing half of the field into dangerous territory, launching a shot from just outside the box into the upper right corner of goal to make the match even at 1-1 .
Moments later in the 30th minute, Pozuelo would strike again, this time sending a left footed shot from inside the box into the top left corner to give Toronto a 2-1 advantage. Following a wild back and forth contest, Toronto would take the lead for good in the 79th minute thanks to a Jordan Hamilton goal. Pozuelo played a ball to Jozy Altidore, who then flicked the ball towards goal to assist on Hamilton's game-winning header.
Toronto FC returns to action on Saturday, April 27 when hosting the Portland Timbers at BMO Field (3 p.m. ET, TSN / CTV / ESPN+).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Images from this story
Toronto FC Midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo
(Major League Soccer, LLC)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 22, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 22, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Alejandro Pozuelo Named MLS Player of the Week - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: April 22, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire Academy Goalkeeper Damian Las Called up to U-17 U.S. Men's National Team for 2019 CONCACAF U-17 Championship - Chicago Fire
- New York City FC Names Liam Manning Director of Coaching for the Academy - New York City FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.