New-Look AirHogs Doubled up in El Paso
EL PASO, Texas - The Grand Prairie AirHogs added three new players to their lineup on Tuesday, and they scored eight runs on 13 hits, but it was not nearly enough as the El Paso Diablos took advantage of five AirHogs errors to score nine unearned runs and beat the AirHogs 16-8 at Cohen Stadium.
Grand Prairie (40-29) took the lead in the first on a passed ball, but the Diablos (30-36) tied it with three straight two-out hits off John Brownell (7-4).
Neither team scored in the second and the AirHogs stranded a runner at second in the third, before the Diablos took the lead for good. Jordan Marks and Maikol Gonzalez singled to start the inning, before a wild pitch moved them up. Brownell kept them at second and third with a groundout by Reid Fronk and a strikeout of Mitch Einertson, but Welington Dotel blooped a 1-2 pitch to right to knock both runners in and give El Paso the lead.
Two errors later that inning and a ssingle by Zane Chavez allowed Dotel and Jermy Acey to score, and the Diablos used a wild pitch and another error in the fourth to bat around and score four more.
Grand Prairie got one back in the fourth and one in the sixth against David Casillas (3-0), chasing him with two in the seventh to cut the El Paso lead to 9-5. But after Andres Rodriguez's RBI single off Ronny Morla, lefty Steven Evarts got a pair of ground balls from lefties Trent Lockwood and James McOwen to end the inning.
Meanwhile, the Diablos took advantage of an error and a passed ball to send 10 to the plate and score five in the bottom of the seventh, before a two-run homer from Gonzalez made it 16-5 in the eighth.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 31, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Explorers win 6-4 - Sioux City Explorers
- New-Look AirHogs Doubled up in El Paso - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Dogs and Lemurs Split Twin Bill Tuesday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Win With Offensive Onslaught Over Grand Prairie - El Paso Diablos
- Martinez's Homer Beats RailCats in 11 Innings - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pheasants Topple Quebec Ace - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Walker Shuts Down T-Bones - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Another Complete Effort Gives Wingnuts Fourth Straight Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones' Offense Struggles in Loss to Goldeyes - Kansas City T-Bones
- Coe Continues Dominance in 4-0 Saints Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Zbin and Jones Swap Spots on DL - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Pheasants Alum Rodriguez Gets the Call - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs