New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Kelyn Rowe
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution have signed midfielder Kelyn Rowe. An eight-year MLS veteran who spent the first seven seasons of his professional career with the Revolution, Rowe rejoins the club as a free agent signing after featuring for Sporting Kansas City and Real Salt Lake in 2019.
Rowe, 28, owns 224 appearances with 169 starts, 29 goals, and 42 assists across 15,474 minutes played for his MLS career. With the Revolution, he recorded 206 games played with 160 starts, 29 goals, and 40 assists in 14,604 minutes played from 2012-18. He ranks among New England's all-time leaders in several categories, including games played (7th), games started (10th), minutes played (10th), goals (10th), and assists (T-4th). Rowe has made an additional nine appearances, including seven starts, with one goal and two assists in postseason play.
"Kelyn is a talented player with valuable experience in this league," said Revolution Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena. "We are pleased to bring him back to New England and look forward to his contributions on and off the field next season."
The Revolution initially acquired Rowe with the third-overall selection in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft. On Dec. 18, 2018, New England acquired defender Edgar Castillo in exchange for Rowe, who landed with Sporting Kansas City as part of a three-team trade with the Colorado Rapids. He registered two assists in 14 appearances for Kansas City, before being traded to Real Salt Lake on Aug. 7, 2019. Rowe made four regular season appearances, as well as one appearance in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, for Salt Lake.
On the international stage, Rowe has been capped four times by the United States. The Federal Way, Wash. native collected all four of his caps under Bruce Arena at the 2017 Concacaf Gold Cup, where he contributed one goal and one assist in the group stage. Rowe also represented the United States at the Under-23, Under-20, and Under-18 levels.
"New England is a special place to me that feels like home and I'm happy for the opportunity to represent the Revolution again," said Kelyn Rowe. "I'm also very excited to work with Bruce. He had me briefly when I was at my best and wants to push me to become greater next season."
Renowned for his extensive work in the New England community through a number of philanthropic causes - including fighting childhood cancer through his partnership with the Jesse Rees Foundation and Kelyn's NEGU Crew - Rowe was named the Revolution's Humanitarian of the Year four straight times from 2014-17.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution signed midfielder Kelyn Rowe as a free agent on Dec. 4, 2019.
Full Name: Kelyn Rowe
Pronunciation: KELL-len ROW
Hometown: Federal Way, Wash.
Date of Birth: Dec. 2, 1991 (Federal Way, Wash.)
Nationality: United States
Last Club: Real Salt Lake (MLS)
Acquired: Signed as a free agent on Dec. 4, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 4, 2019
- Nashville SC Hosting Holiday Happy Hours at Fat Bottom Brewing - Nashville SC
- Real Salt Lake Signs MF Everton Luiz on Permanent Transfer - Real Salt Lake
- Mas Brothers, Beckham Thank Construction Team for Stadium Progress - Inter Miami
- Houston Dynamo Announce 2019 Team Awards - Houston Dynamo
- Sporting Signs Croatian Defender Roberto Puncec - Sporting Kansas City
- New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Kelyn Rowe - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Signs Honduran International Brayan Beckeles - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Axel Sjoberg - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF Signs Goalkeeper John McCarthy - Inter Miami
- Orlando City SC Names Oscar Pareja as Head Coach - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union and Bimbo Bakeries USA Renew Official Jersey Partnership - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution Hire 98.5 the Sports Hub Anchor Mike "Sarge" Riley as Public Address Announcer
- Revolution Make Three Selections in 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Matt Turner Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp
- New England Revolution Acquire Defender Samba Camara
- New England Revolution Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule