New England Revolution Hire Dave van den Bergh as Assistant Coach
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution have added Dave van den Bergh to the club's technical staff as an assistant coach. Van den Bergh, who most recently served as an assistant coach for the United States Under-20 Men's National Team, will officially join Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena's staff on July 1.
"Dave's blend of experience playing in MLS and Europe, and coaching throughout the United States Youth National Team system, will serve him exceptionally well as an assistant coach here in New England," Revolution Head Coach and Sporting Director Bruce Arena said. "We have a relationship dating back more than a decade, and I'm looking forward to seeing Dave bring his acumen, work ethic, and passion for the game to our staff."
Van den Bergh, 43, arrives in New England following nine years as a coach with various United States Youth National teams. The Amsterdam native served as assistant coach for the United States Under-20 Men's National Team in 2019 and from 2010-16, head coach of the United States Under-19 Men's National Team in 2018, and head coach of the United States Under-15s from 2016-18. Van den Bergh recorded a 6-0-4 record as head of the U.S. U-15s, and helped guide the U-20s to consecutive Quarterfinal appearances in the 2015 and 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cups.
Prior to entering the coaching ranks, Van den Bergh enjoyed a decorated playing career from 1995-2009, featuring extensively in the Dutch Eredivisie, La Liga, and Major League Soccer. He began his career with Dutch powerhouse Ajax in 1995 after spending 10 years in the club's academy. Van den Bergh made 12 appearances across three seasons for Ajax - highlighted by a league title in the 1995-96 season - before moving to Spanish side Rayo Vallecano, where he logged 47 appearances from 1997-2000. He returned to the Eredivisie in 2000, joining FC Utrecht. The winger scored 29 goals across 184 games played for Utrecht, and led the club to consecutive Dutch Cup wins in 2003 and 2004, as well a Dutch Super Cup title in 2004.
Van den Bergh signed with the Kansas City Wizards of Major League Soccer in 2006. After one season with Kansas City, he joined the New York Red Bulls, where he played under Bruce Arena in 2007. Following two seasons with New York, Van den Bergh featured for FC Dallas in 2009.
On the international stage, Van den Bergh collected two caps with the Netherlands in 2004.
Dave van den Bergh's Coaching Background
United States U-20 National Team (Assistant) 2019, 2010-16
United States U-19 National Team 2018
United States U-15 National Team 2016-18
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 25, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 25, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- #FCDvVAN: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Impact Hosts the Portland Timbers Wednesday at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Recall Defender Logan Gdula - FC Cincinnati
- Quakes Sign Mexican Winger Carlos Fierro - San Jose Earthquakes
- By the Numbers: the Rematch of Old Friends - Orlando City SC
- LAFC to Host Portland Timbers in Quarterfinals of U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, July 10 - Los Angeles FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC - Atlanta United FC
- New England Revolution Hire Dave van den Bergh as Assistant Coach - New England Revolution
- Impact Acquires International Roster Spot for 2019 Season - Montreal Impact
- Resilient Aaron Long, U.S. MNT Battle for Top Spot in Gold Cup Group - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Statement from New England Revolution President Brian Bilello
- Revolution Academy Announces College Commitments
- Revolution Midfielder Diego Fagundez and eMLS Competitor John Oliveira to Compete in eMLS Tournament Special
- Patriots and Revolution Launch Special Edition of Read Between the Lines Program
- Gillette Stadium to Host Series of Blood Drives