Navarro's Home Run Gives Naturals Extra-Inning Victory
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark - Rey Navarro's first home run on Sunday night gave the Northwest Arkansas Naturals an early lead. His second home run gave them the win.
Navarro hit Josh Judy's 0-2 pitch to right field with one out in top of the 13th inning, breaking a 2-2 tie as the Naturals worked extra innings for a 3-2 win over the Arkansas Travelers. The Naturals also dealt a major blow to the Travelers' first half title chances as they are now one game behind North Division-leading Tulsa with one game to play.
The Naturals got on the board in the fourth inning on Navarro's fourth home run of the season. Manny PiÃÂ±a hit his fifth home run of the season and second in as many nights in the fifth inning to give the Naturals a 2-0 lead.
The Travelers tied the game with a pair of runs in the seventh. C.J. Cron led off the inning with a walk from J.C. Sulbaran and scored on a Drew Heid single. Jett Bandy followed Heid with a sacrifice fly that plated Robbie Widlansky to tie the game.
Mitch Canham, who began the game at first base, earned his first win of the season in his second relief appearance. Canham allowed one hit with two walks in a pair of scoreless innings while going two-for-five at the plate with two singles. Whit Merrifeld earned his first save of the season, firing a scoreless ninth. Merrifield was at second base in the Naturals' starting lineup.
Sam Runion made his first start of the season for the Naturals, scattering three hits with one walk and one strikeout in 3.2 scoreless innings. Jon Keck allowed one hit while striking out four batters in 2.1 innings. J. C. Sulbaran allowed two runs on two hits with two walks and two strikeouts in four innings.
Judy suffers his first loss of the season. He allowed one run on one hit with one strikeout in an inning of work. Travelers starter Brandon Hynick allowed two runs on five hits with two strikeouts in 5.1 innings.
The Naturals conclude the first half of the 2013 season tomorrow night against the Travelers at 7:10 p.m. Jason Adam (1-8, 6.54 ERA) will make the start for the Naturals. Michael Roth (1-1, 3.38 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Travs.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 16, 2013
- Travs Knocked out of Contention in 13 Inning Loss - Arkansas Travelers
- Navarro's Home Run Gives Naturals Extra-Inning Victory - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Rained Out, Need 1 Win Monday for Title - Tulsa Drillers
- Sunday's Game Postponed; Doubleheader on Monday - Springfield Cardinals
- RockHounds Romp on Father's Day - Frisco RoughRiders
- Kevin Fowler to Headline Ziegfest - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Riders Avoid Sweep with Shutout - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Northwest Arkansas Naturals Stories
- Star Wars Night 4-Packs Available
- Job Fair at Arvest Ballpark on Thursday, February 7
- Naturals Offer Early-Bird Group Special
- Hot Stove Luncheon Set for Monday, January 21
- Darryl Kennedy Named New Naturals Manager