Nailers Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers, proud ECHL affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins, have announced their list of players who received qualifying offers for the summer of 2019. Eight players were tendered qualifying offers for Wheeling.
Each team was entitled to reserve the rights to a maximum of eight qualified players. Of the eight qualified players, no more than four could be veterans (260 regular season professional hockey games played as of the start of the upcoming 2019-20 season). Players on open qualifying offers cannot be traded.
The qualifying offer must remain open for acceptance until July 16 at which time the qualifying offer becomes null and void and the team may sign the qualified player to any salary or may elect to take no further action. Teams that extend a valid qualifying offer to a non-veteran player shall retain the rights to that qualified player for one playing season.
A team that extends a valid qualifying offer to a veteran player, or to a goaltender who has played more than 180 regular-season games, will retain the rights to that player until July 16. After July 16, if the veteran player or goaltender is not signed to a contract by the team, the player shall be deemed a restricted free agent and shall be entitled to seek and secure offers of employment from other ECHL teams. Restricted free agents may not be traded. When a restricted free agent receives a contract offer from a team other than the team with the player's rights and the restricted free agent wishes to accept the contract offer, the restricted free agent and the offering member must, within 24 hours, notify the ECHL, the team with the player's rights and the Professional Hockey Players' Association. The member with the player's rights shall have seven days after the date it is notified to exercise its right to match the contract offer.
If a restricted free agent is not signed to either an offer sheet or a contract by an ECHL team by Aug. 1, the player shall be deemed an unrestricted free agent.
The eight qualified players for the Wheeling Nailers are:
F Alec Butcher
D Dan Fick (veteran)
F Yushiroh Hirano
F Cedric Lacroix
F Zac Lynch
F Wade Murphy
G Matt O'Connor
F Nick Saracino
If a player has already signed a contract for 2019-20, that player does not need to be tendered a qualifying offer.
The Nailers will begin the 2019-20 campaign on October 12th, when they visit the Cincinnati Cyclones. The home opener is one week later, when the Indy Fuel travel to WesBanco Arena on October 19th. Season tickets, partial plans, and group tickets are available now. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 1, 2019
- Rush Issue Eight Qualifying Offers - Rapid City Rush
- Nailers Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Wheeling Nailers
- Utah Grizzlies Issue Qualifying Offers to Five Players - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight - Reading Royals
- Walleye Extend Qualifying Offers to Three - Toledo Walleye
- Former Royals D Nick Luukko Named Assistant Coach - Reading Royals
- Mavericks Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Extend Qualifying Offers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Tender Qualifying Offers to Eight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Players with Qualifying Offers - ECHL
- Steelheads Extend Qualifying Offers to Five Players - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Extend Qualifying Offers to Three - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Extends Eight Qualifying Offers - Wichita Thunder
- Solar Bears Extend Qualifying Offers for 2019-20 Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Extend Qualifying Offers to Seven Players - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Announce Qualifying Offers - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Issue Qualifying Offers to Six - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.