Mystics Select Atkins in 2018 WNBA Draft
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Washington Mystics have selected Ariel Atkins from the University of Texas with the seventh overall pick in the 2018 WNBA Draft.
A 5'11" guard, Atkins helped the Longhorns to four NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances with the team moving on to the Elite Eight during the 2015-16 season. She increased her output in virtually every category, averaging a career and team best 14.9 ppg, 3.2 apg and 2.5 spg during her senior year.
and Associated Press Honorable Mention All-America. She was second in the Big 12 in steals per game (2.5) and three-point field goal percentage (.420).
She concludes her collegiate career with the fourth-best free throw percentage (.883) and sixth-best three-point percentage (.373) in school history as well as career averages of 12.4 ppg, 1.9 apg and 1.85 spg.
"Our goal was to find a wing player that could be a scorer and a defender," said Mystics Head Coach and General Manager Mike Thibault. "I think that her basketball I.Q. and energy level is off the charts and I think that she proved over the course of her time at Texas that she is a very dynamic and efficient player."
In the second round (19th overall), the Mystics drafted forward Myisha Hines-Allen of the University of Louisville. She has earned All-ACC and All-America Honors. She is only the second player in program history to score 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds. In four years, Hines-Allen recorded 14.3 ppg and 8.2 rpg.
In the final round (31st overall), Washington added guard Rebecca Greenwell of Duke University. She is the first player in school history with 1,500 points, 600 rebounds, and 300 three-point field goals made. Greenwell has received All-ACC and All-America honors and averaged 14.9 ppg and 6.0 rpg.
Full season ticket memberships are currently on sale for 2018 and start as low as $11 per game. For more information about Mystics Club 52 full season ticket memberships, and other ticket plans, please call the Mystics Ticket Sales office at 877.DC.HOOP.1 or e-mail email@example.com. The team's full promotional schedule will be released in the coming weeks.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 12, 2018
- Mercury Make Four Selections in 2018 WNBA Draft - Phoenix Mercury
- Las Vegas Selects A'ja Wilson with First Overall Pick - WNBA
- Atlanta Dream Select Three Players in 2018 WNBA Draft - Atlanta Dream
- Minnesota Lynx Wrap 2018 WNBA Draft - Minnesota Lynx
- Mystics Select Atkins in 2018 WNBA Draft - Washington Mystics
- New York Liberty Selects All-American Guard Kia Nurse from UConn in the 1st Round of the 2018 WNBA Draft - New York Liberty
- LA Sparks Select Shakayla Thomas 23rd Overall in 2018 WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Las Vegas Aces Select A'Ja Wilson with First Pick in 2018 WNBA Draft - Las Vegas Aces
- Lynx Select Ji-Su Park with the 17th Overall Pick in the 2018 WNBA Draft - Minnesota Lynx
- LA Sparks Select Maria Vadeeva 11th Overall in 2018 WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Lynx New Icon Edition Uniforms, Court Design and App Revealed - Minnesota Lynx
- Minnesota Lynx Issue Statement on Lindsay Whalen - Minnesota Lynx
- Atlanta Dream Trade Bria Holmes to Connecticut Sun - Atlanta Dream
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Mystics Stories
- Toliver Named to WNBA All-Star Team
- Pair Return, Peddy Waived
- Delle Donne, Thibault to Participate in All-Star Game
- Mystics Game Update
- Mike Thibault Named Coach of the Month