Muskegon Blanks Phantoms 6-0
YOUNGSTOWN, OH - Fifteen different skaters found the scoresheet and netminder Jan Skorpik stopped all 18 shots thrown his way as the Youngstown Phantoms (9-29-5-2, 25 points) fell to the Muskegon Lumberjacks 6-0 at the Covelli Centre Friday night.
"I liked the first 14 or 15 minutes, and that's the only thing I did like," said Phantoms Head Coach Brad Patterson. "There's not a lot of positive that I take from tonight."
Danil Gushchin opened the scoring at 6:23 of the first period, ripping a wrist shot from the top of the circles past the glove of Colin Purcell (25 saves), giving Muskegon the only offense they would need on the night in a 1-0 lead that carried to the first intermission.
Youngstown's best chance to score came early in the second period when they earned a 42-second 5-on-3 power play, but the Phantoms could not cash in. Muskegon extended their lead to 3-0 with goals from Thomas Sinclair at 9:47 and a power play goal from Cameron Berg at 14:24.
Cristophe Tellier continued the Lumberjacks' offensive onslaught 2:44 into the third, scoring his eighth goal of the season against the Phantoms in 11 games, 21st goal overall, to put Muskegon ahead 4-0. Philip Tresca and Brad Marek scored 1:07 apart at 18:18 and 19:25 respectively to make up the final margin. It was the fourth time Youngstown has been shutout this season, the first time at home.
"We need to be better," concluded Patterson. "And we need to be much better tomorrow night." Youngstown and Muskegon conclude their season series tomorrow night at the Covelli Centre with a 7:05pm puck drop on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Night, which will feature a special jersey auction after the game.
By the Numbers
Shots - 18
Saves - 25
Power Play - 0/4
Penalty Kill - 2/3
Goals - None
Assists - None
Box Score - https://www.ushl.com/view/#/game-summary/9594
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2021
- Muskegon Blanks Phantoms 6-0 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Force Claim Series Finale - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Herd Drops Series Finale against Sioux City - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Green Bay Clinches a Playoff Spot - Green Bay Gamblers
- D-Men Lead Fargo to a 4-2 Win over Waterloo - Fargo Force
- Storm Set for Three-Game Home Series against Buccaneers - Tri-City Storm
- Fargo Defensemen Do the Damage - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Youngstown Phantoms Stories
- Phantoms Hire Jason Deskins and Ryan Kosecki as Co-GMs and VP of Hockey Operations for 2021-22
- Phantoms Release 2021-2022 Schedule
- Phantoms Complete Draft Phase I and II
- Phantoms Choose Whitelaw with the First Overall Pick of the 2021 USHL Futures Draft
- Griffin Family Highlighted as "Billet Family of the Year"