Mother Nature Wins; Sunday's Games in Hickory Cancelled
HICKORY, NC - Mother nature came away victorious this weekend in Hickory. Due to more rain, both games on Sunday were washed out. Columbia and Hickory do not play each other again in the first half, therefore, both games are cancelled and will not be made up.
The two teams were supposed to finish the suspended game from Saturday and play the third and final game of the series as well. After playing on Thursday, three straight games were cancelled because of rain.
Here is a recap of events this weekend in Hickory:
- Columbia falls in the series opener to Hickory, 4-3
- Game two of the series, scheduled to start at 7:00 ET, begins in a delay
- 7:15 ET: game is postponed due to rain and will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Saturday scheduled to begin at 4:00 ET
- Game two of the series once again begins in a delay
- First pitch is recorded at 5:20 ET after an 80-minute rain delay
- After an inning and a half is completed, and with two Crawdads runners on base with no outs in the bottom of the second, the tarp is called for at 5:48 ET
- 6:41 ET: the game (and the doubleheader) is suspended and moved to Sunday (this also effectively cancels the proposed second game on Saturday evening)
- Doubleheader cancelled at 12:00 ET
For the first time in franchise history, Columbia has gone three straight days without a game (not counting the annual three-day all-star break in June).
The Fireflies have had three straight games postponed or cancelled due to rain, though. Columbia had trouble playing due to poor weather from May 12-13, 2017. The Fireflies were scheduled to play a doubleheader at Delmarva on May 12, but both games were cancelled due to rain. Columbia's May 13 game in Lakewood was then also postponed.
Columbia only went two days without games, though, in that scenario, whereas the Fireflies will go three full days in this case in Hickory.
The Fireflies return home on Monday to begin a seven-game homestand. Columbia first hosts Asheville from Monday to Wednesday before taking on Lexington for four games from Thursday through Sunday. Some highlights include:
- Kids eat free on Monday
- $2 popcorn, hot dogs and fountain drinks on Tuesday
- Bring your dog to park for Wag-Along Wednesday presented by Trash the Pop
- Budweiser Thirsty Thursday, featuring half-price draft beer and fountain drinks, and Stand Up to Cancer Night
- Fireworks postgame on Friday
- 60s Night on Saturday
- Father's Day Special on Sunday
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Charleston Can't Build Early Lead, Fall to Tourists in Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rain Can't Stop Tourists from Win over Perros Santos - Asheville Tourists
- Lexington Completes Sweep of Rome with 7-5 Victory - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Offense Stumbles, Suns Gain Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- McGovern Homers as Power Drops Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Win First Game, 2nd Game Cancelled - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sunday's Doubleheader Cancelled Due to Storms - Hickory Crawdads
- Mother Nature Wins; Sunday's Games in Hickory Cancelled - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 9) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.