McGovern Homers as Power Drops Series Finale
CHARLESTON, W. Va. - Keegan McGovern crushed his second homer of the year and Nick Rodriguez notched a pair of RBIs, but West Virginia fell in the series finale, 7-4, to the Greenville Drive Sunday afternoon at Appalachian Power Park.
The Drive (28-35) struck early with a trio of runs in the first three batters of the game, as Cole Brannen and Tyler Esplin each laced a single and Devlin Granberg homered to left field. West Virginia (30-33) answered with McGovern's solo shot in the bottom of the first to make it 3-1 Greenville.
In the second, the Power scratched across another run on a Manny Pazos RBI single and brought West Virginia back within a run. Clay Chandler (6-3) battled back and put together three scoreless innings from the second to the fourth to keep the Power in the game.
Still trailing by one in the bottom of the fourth, Jake Anchia led off the frame with a single and Cesar Izturis Jr. worked a walk to set the stage for Rodriguez. The infielder stepped in with two outs and delivered a two-run double down the left-field line that thrust West Virginia ahead 4-3. However, the Drive would respond in the next half inning. Following a pair of strikeouts to start the frame, Greenville tallied three more runs, with the big blow coming on a Jordan Wren two-run homer, to snag a 6-4 lead.
Devin Sweet entered out of the bullpen to close the fifth and surrendered just one run over his 2.1 innings of work.
Kevin Biondic (S,1) relieved Drive starter Brayan Bello (3-5) in the sixth and went the rest of the way, spinning four scoreless innings to pick up his first save of the year.
West Virginia now begins a three-game series with the Delmarva Shorebirds Monday evening at Appalachian Power Park, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. RHP Ryne Inman (5-5, 4.42 ERA) toes the slab for the Power, while the Shorebirds counter with RHP Grayson Rodriguez (6-1, 2.63 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
It's another Family Buck Night Monday evening, as the best deal your family can get is back for another week! Get box seats for $3.00 or general admission tickets for just $1.00, and enjoy hot dogs, popcorn and 12-ounce Pepsi beverages all for a buck during Monday's series opener! For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Charleston Can't Build Early Lead, Fall to Tourists in Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rain Can't Stop Tourists from Win over Perros Santos - Asheville Tourists
- Lexington Completes Sweep of Rome with 7-5 Victory - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Offense Stumbles, Suns Gain Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- McGovern Homers as Power Drops Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Win First Game, 2nd Game Cancelled - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sunday's Doubleheader Cancelled Due to Storms - Hickory Crawdads
- Mother Nature Wins; Sunday's Games in Hickory Cancelled - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 9) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.