Rain Can't Stop Tourists from Win over Perros Santos
CHARLESTON, SC- The Asheville Tourists and Los Perros Santos de Charleston waited out a lengthy rain delay in the middle of the seventh inning only to finish with the exact same score entering the delay. That score was 3-2 in favor of the Tourists.
Shelby Lackey earned the victory with a six-inning quality start. The right-hander surrendered two runs total while working out of a few early jams. Lackey finished his outing strong; he threw three scoreless frames from the fourth through the sixth.
The Tourists fell behind 2-0 but methodically overcame the deficit. Coco Montes opened the scoring with a two-out RBI single to left field that plated Terrin Vavra from second base in the fourth inning.
Niko Decolati tied the score with an RBI single to right in the sixth. Then, right before the rain hit, Will Golsan drove in the eventual game-winner with a sacrifice fly to centerfield. Javier Guevara raced home from third base.
Following the rain delay, Derrik Watson tossed a scoreless seventh inning thanks in part to a nice out recorded at home plate with Los Perros Santos attempting to tie the game. PJ Poulin worked a perfect eighth inning and Alexander Martinez notched his 13th save of the season with a flawless ninth.
The Tourists finished the game with 12 hits. Vavra, Cade Harris, and Grant Lavigne all recorded multi-hit games. Next up for the Tourists is a date with the Columbia Fireflies on Monday night. This will be the first meeting between Asheville and Columbia this season. The contest at Segra Park is scheduled for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Charleston Can't Build Early Lead, Fall to Tourists in Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rain Can't Stop Tourists from Win over Perros Santos - Asheville Tourists
- Lexington Completes Sweep of Rome with 7-5 Victory - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Offense Stumbles, Suns Gain Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- McGovern Homers as Power Drops Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Win First Game, 2nd Game Cancelled - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sunday's Doubleheader Cancelled Due to Storms - Hickory Crawdads
- Mother Nature Wins; Sunday's Games in Hickory Cancelled - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 9) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.