Moose Out-Slug Schooners in Homer Filled Battle
SANFORD - In a home run-filled affair from Goodall Park Friday night the *Sanford Mainers (12-12) *got back to the .500 mark in their 8-5 win over the Mystic Schooners (14-11).
The Mainers hit three home runs off of Mystic pitching, with two being solo shots from the bats of *Jordan Powell (Rhode Island) *and *Todd Czinege (Villanova) *in the 2nd and 4th innings. Sandwiched between the two solo home runs was a two-run blast off the bat of *Shaine Hughes (Monmouth) *to score *Ako Thomas (Michigan)*, all part of the Mainers building a 5-1 lead.
The Schooners managed to comeback by scoring once in the 5th on a Chase Lunceford (Louisiana Tech.) RBI-single to make the score in the 5th. The 7th inning proved to be particularly fruitful for Mystic, as Toby Handley (Stony Brook) singled and Nick Masceli (Wagner) walked to put two men aboard for Lunceford. Lunceford took an 0-1 pitch to right field deep, a three-run home run knotting the game up at five.
Sanford put it away with a lone run in the bottom of the inning, as Czinege scored on a *John Cresto (Santa Clara) *triple hit to dead center field, giving the Mainers a brief 6-5 advantage. The Mainers cracked it open an inning later when *Chris Gaetano (Monmouth) *tripled in a pair of runs, bringing *Mike Landestoy (Texas Christian) *and *Nelson Mompierre (Miami Dade) *across to make it 8-5.
Sanford got another great start from *Dan Wilson (North Carolina Asheville) *who went five innings, and allowed five hits, two runs, one earned, two walks and one strike out. Mainers starters over their last 17-and-a-third innings have allowed just one earned run, dominating opposing hitters.
The Mainers in all collected seven extra-base hits, tormenting Schooners pitching, as three of Mystic's four pitchers on the evening were charged with earned runs.
The Mainers travel tomorrow to MacKenzie Stadium in Holyoke, Massachusetts to face the valley Blue Sox at 6:30 PM. Pregame coverage begins at 6:15 PM on the NECBL Broadcast Network and The Legends in Sanford 102.3 FM and 1220 AM. The Mainers are 3-0 against the Blue Sox this season.
• Discuss this story on the New England Collegiate Baseball League message board...
New England Collegiate Baseball League Stories from July 8, 2016
- Moose Out-Slug Schooners in Homer Filled Battle - Sanford Mainers
- Mystic Schooners Fall 8-5 - Mystic Schooners
- Swamp Bats Fall - Keene Swamp Bats
- SANFORD 8, MYSTIC 5 - Mystic Schooners
- Mountaineers Score Five in the Sixth, Romp Blue Sox 10-2 - Vermont Mountaineers
- SteepleCats Drop Second Straight - North Adams SteepleCats
- SteepleCats Fall But Remain Tied for First - North Adams SteepleCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sanford Mainers Stories
- Three Former Moose Sign UFA Contracts with MLB Teams
- Curley Named Recipient of David M. Ahern Memorial Scholarship
- Mainers Close out SteepleCats to Finish Season Strongly
- Moose Nearly Miss out on Win in Montpelier
- Mainers Drop Extra-Inning Heartbreaker to Blue Sox