Monarchs Fall One Game Short of Sweep in 7-3 Loss to Swamp Rabbits
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs fell one game short of the weekend sweep Sunday afternoon, as the Greenville Swamp Rabbits took home a 7-3 win at SNHU Arena.
The Monarchs (26-21-1-1) and the Swamp Rabbits (17-30-3-2) fought evenly for the first two periods, but ultimately the Swamp Rabbits came away with the 7-3 win after scoring four unanswered third period goals.
The Monarchs opened scoring at 2:34 of the first period when Cory Ward scored his 13th goal of the season. After Swamp Rabbits goaltender, Chris Nell, gave up a rebound to the top of the crease, Ward tipped it past Nell, to make the score, 1-0.
The Swamp Rabbits answered at 3:29 of the first period when Jake Bolston scored his ninth goal of the season. After Chris Izmirlian sent a pass to the top of the right circle, Bolston found the puck and wristed it over the shoulder of Monarchs goaltender, Cole Kehler, making the score, 1-1.
The Monarchs scored again at 4:45 of the first period when Spencer Watson scored his 19th of the season. Picking up the breakout pass from Travis Walsh, Watson deked around the Swamp Rabbits defense and pushed the puck around the leg pad of Nell, to make the score 2-1.
The Swamp Rabbits answered at 6:03 of the first period when Izmirlian scored his 15th of the season. Finding the rebound in front of Kehler, Izmirlian hammered the puck past Kehler's leg, to tie it up at 2-2.
The Monarchs regained the lead when Watson scored his 20th of the season, second of the game at 17:36 of the first period. Watson wristed a shot from the right circle, over the glove of Nell, making the score, 3-2.
The Swamp Rabbits scored the only goal of the second period at 8:18, when Kamerin Nault scored his fifth of the season. After Michael Pelech's initial shot hit off Kehler and bounced to the top of the crease, Nault hammered the puck over a falling Kehler to make the score, 3-3.
The Swamp Rabbits gained the lead at 2:53 of the third period when Austen Brassard scored his 15th of the season. After a turnover by the Monarchs in the high slot, Brassard found the puck on his stick and wristed it over the glove of Kehler to bring the score to 4-3.
The Swamp Rabbits increased their lead at 10:26 of the third when Nault scored his sixth of the season, second of the night. Skating in from the right circle, Nault wristed the puck over the blocker of Kehler, making the score, 5-3.
The Swamp Rabbits would add two more goals by Dylan Vander Esch and Brassard, taking home a 7-3 win over the Monarchs.
The Monarchs return to action Wednesday, February 13 at 7 p.m., when they take on the Jacksonville Icemen at Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 10, 2019
- Walleye Take Both Games in Toledo in 4-1 Loss - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Derail Railers in Road Trip Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Dethrone Monarchs - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Battle Back But Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Visiting Cyclones - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Fall One Game Short of Sweep in 7-3 Loss to Swamp Rabbits - Manchester Monarchs
- Wallin, Lacouvee Lead the Way in Sunday Win over Wheeling - Maine Mariners
- Nailers Come up Short in First Trip to Maine - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Earn 1-0 Overtime Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - February 10 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Worcester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Nailers at Mariners Game Day Snap Shot, February 10 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Swept in Weekend Series vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Complete Sweep with 4-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Sweep Thunder - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manchester Monarchs Stories
- Manchester Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $7,500 to Elliot Hospital
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win
- Railers Gain Two Points on the Monarchs in 5-2 Victory
- Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $5,000 to CMC Breast Care Center
- Monarchs Comeback against Admirals with 3-2 Overtime Victory