Nailers Come up Short in First Trip to Maine
PORTLAND, ME - The Wheeling Nailers got one of each result from their three-game trip to New England. Unfortunately, Sunday afternoon was the regulation defeat, as the Nailers visited Portland, Maine for the first time ever. Terrence Wallin scored twice for the Maine Mariners, and despite a goal by Michael Phillips, Wheeling was unable to overcome the deficit, falling 4-1 at Cross Insurance Arena.
After a scoreless first period, the Mariners got a pair of early goals to begin the middle frame. Wheeling ran into penalty trouble, which led to a 5-on-3 goal to break the deadlock, as Drew Melanson's shot dribbled into the left side of the crease, where it was poked into the net by Terrence Wallin. A little less than four minutes later, Maine extended its lead, when Greg Chase broke behind the defense, and lifted a backhander into the top-right corner of the cage.
The Nailers attempted to start a comeback with a power play goal at the 11:11 mark of the third period. Troy Josephs wound his way around the back of the net, before feeding Michael Phillips, who smoked in a one-timer from the right circle. Unfortunately, a comeback wasn't in the cards, as Wallin battled in his second of the afternoon, as the puck just trickled in over the goal line. Drew Melanson tacked on an empty netter for the 4-1 Mariners win.
Connor LaCouvee rebounded from two bad outings to stop 34 of 35 shots in the win for Maine, while Jordan Ruby made 30 saves on 33 shots for Wheeling.
The Nailers will return for three home games this week, starting with a 7:05 match against Reading on Wednesday, February 13th. The next big promotional night is Country Roads, featuring a Mason Jar Giveaway to the first 2,000 fans on February 16th. All tickets for that game are just $12. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers forward Michael Phillips
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 10, 2019
- Walleye Take Both Games in Toledo in 4-1 Loss - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Derail Railers in Road Trip Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Dethrone Monarchs - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Battle Back But Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Visiting Cyclones - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Fall One Game Short of Sweep in 7-3 Loss to Swamp Rabbits - Manchester Monarchs
- Wallin, Lacouvee Lead the Way in Sunday Win over Wheeling - Maine Mariners
- Nailers Come up Short in First Trip to Maine - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Earn 1-0 Overtime Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - February 10 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Worcester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Nailers at Mariners Game Day Snap Shot, February 10 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Swept in Weekend Series vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Complete Sweep with 4-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Sweep Thunder - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.